Internet connectivity with Apple Devices

Friday
Model: Archer AXE95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231228 rel.50972

I've been using the AEXE95 for several months at two different locations without any issues. This week both locations are having issues with Apple devices (HomePods and iPhone 15 Pro and on an older 5s). I am seeing a "No Internet Connection" under my SSID in the iPhone settings app. HomePods won't connect at all. My Macs are doing fine and so are other non-apple devices.

The strange this, we have full interent on all the devices showing that message. Great speeds. The problem is that I'm unable to check for an software updates on the iPhone since the phone thinks it's not connected to the internet...and of course the HomePods not working at all (unless I stream ove wifi from another device).

I have rebooted the cable modem and router. I have reset the iPhone's network settings. I have reset the HomePods. Nothing is working. I have contacted our ISP and they were of no help.  I did have them reset the modem, but that made no difference.

Anyone having similar issues???  Any advice???

Thank you.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Internet connectivity with Apple Devices
Friday

@mmtkd 

By chance are you using access control using MAC addresses?

If so, that may be the issue.Apple has an option to change the MAC address. 

Options
Friday

@ArcherC8 

Thank you for the suggestiong, but I am not.

I ended up manually adding DNS:

and it worked. I saw this from another post as a suggestion. I have no idea why this was needed all of a sudden????

Options
Saturday

@mmtkd 

I'm also having the same issue on my Archer AX75 that I've been using for just over one year. The problem started just this week.

Apple devices appear to be the only devices affected. (I don't have any Android phones to test with.) All windows PCs work fine. 

The problem only appears to be when an Apple device tries to access Apple related services such as Software Update, etc. 

The message 'No internet connection' appears below the SSID.

Access Control was on by default. Turning it off made no difference.

I talked with Apple support and they pointed to my ISP.

I talked to my ISP and they pointed me to TP-Link.

I know the problem is with tp-link as I put my pervious wi-fi router in place and I'm not having any issues.

I talked to tp-link support and they had me change the DNS settings to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 rather than using the DNS server from my ISP. Apparently, Apple devices can tell whether or not the DNS servers are secure. I was getting the no internet connection since my ISP's DNS servers are considered not secure.

I will monitor for some time but it appears to have fixed my issue at least for now.

Options
Saturday

@kbasler 

Thank you for sharing that!  Def a DNS issue. As I stated I switched to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 and it all cleared for me.  It turns out those are from cloudflare. I like going with your solution better.  

Options
Saturday

@mmtkd 

I have the AX4400 router with the same problem. Spectrum isp. I went to Apple Store and they upgraded all my devices to iOS 18, no help. I have done factory reset and still have issues. I went to spectrum and got their router and everything works fine but I would like to fix my tp link router. 

Options
Saturday

@kbasler 

thanks. Appreciate your post. I'll have to try that. 

Options
Sunday

@mmtkd 

YES!! Having the same issue! Super frustrated! The articles that talk about updating the DNS seem outda

Options
Sunday

@Dkay 

I've changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and everything is working perfectly now. 

Options
Monday

@mmtkd 

@kbasler 

@Bill00 

@Dkay 

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear that changing your DNS servers to Google and/or Cloudflare has helped mitigate the behavior. 

Our engineers have their eyes on this topic, and we'd like to gather a few more details if you can share them:

1. Who is your ISP?

2. What are/were the default DNS servers provided by your ISP? You can find this information on the "Internet" page of your router's web GUI - the same one you used to change the DNS settings - but only if it is set to "Get Dynamically from ISP".

3. Were any other services impacted, like visiting Google or YouTube, apart from being unable to check for updates or download apps from the Apple App Store?

Thanks, everyone!

Options
Monday

@mmtkd 

Hello,

Here is the information you requested below:

1. ISP: Spectrum

2. DNS: I do have "Get Dynamically from ISP" set on, and the current values are: 71.10.216.1 and 71.10.216.2. I actually added the 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 DNS addresses on the DHCP page...under primary/secondary DNS (optional). I didn't think about turning setting those values on the DNS pages since I didn't see any way to edit the servier addresses listed. Despite this, making the changes on the DHCP page did sovle my issue.

3. No other issues were present.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 244

Replies: 12

Related Articles