Security camera DVR is killing my AC 1750 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-12 09:09:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a Q-See QC814 security camera system that consists of 4 IP cameras connected to a DVR, which is connected to my router with a CAT6 cable. That allows me to monitor cameras from my mobile devices around the house or outside the network. This has worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years but recently (with an older 802.11n TP-Link router) I started have internet connectivity issues that only got fixed by rebooting the router. These reboots were needed more and more frequently that I figured it was dying. So I bought a new TP-Link Archer C7 router and all seemed fine for about a month when it started happening again.

Then by chance I noticed the problem instantly went away by unplugging the CAT6 wire going to the camera DVR. I thought that maybe the DVR's UPnP features were screwed up but I disabled those and I'm still getting the router lockups. When this happens, all internet connectivity stops on my desktop PC (hard wired to the router) and all mobile devices connected via WiFi. Accessing the router's admin page sometimes works, sometimes doesn't or is very sluggish. Unplugging the CAT6 cable to the DVR fixes it immediately. Rebooting the DVR and/or router will usually fix things for awhile but that only lasts maybe a 1 day now.

So, what could this DVR be doing that would bring the router to its knees at random times? Is there some kind of diagnostics I can run? Is there a setting I can make in the router setup to prevent this?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Security camera DVR is killing my AC 1750 router
2017-01-12 09:30:18
FYI, firmware version is 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n and hardware version is Archer C7 v2 00000000
Options
2017-01-12 14:01:07
When you connect the NVR to the router, what do you use it for with the router? Does it hold large data flow all the time?
Options
2017-01-12 23:46:52

tplink wrote

When you connect the NVR to the router, what do you use it for with the router? Does it hold large data flow all the time?

99% of the time it's not used for anything since the NVR has a dedicated monitor. But occasionally I'll view my cameras on my phone or iPad and that requires the network connection. Those are not being used when the NVR freezes the router.
Options
2017-01-14 03:39:50
I noticed my NVR software has a running graph feature showing network I/O speed. Normally it shows about 16 Mb/s of receive speed indicated the video coming from the 4 cameras and a much lower send speed of around 300 Kb/s which I assume is just ACKs going back to the cameras. Both numbers go to zero when I unplug the cameras. If I monitor the cameras with my iPad over the LAN connection, the send speed jumps up to about 4 Mb/s. Anyway, at a random time yesterday my internet came to a crawl again so I decided to pull up those camera numbers and the send speed was at a whopping 92 Mb/s, about 300 times what it should be with no one streaming. The user log showed no one logged in and I don't have an ports open in the router anyway. I have an open ticket with Q-See to see what that is all about but in the mean time I want to know if my TP-Link router has any kind of metering (by IP or MAC address) that I can apply to the NVR to keep these data bursts from bringing my whole LAN down? I've looked through the interface and thought there might be something in Access Control but I don't see it.
Options
2017-01-18 23:40:43
So I'm guessing by the lack of a response that there is no metering function in this router to prevent a misbehaving client from taking the whole router down.
Options
2021-05-29 16:57:04

Thanks everyone for your answers, I was having a similar issue and you guys helped me a lot! 

Options
2021-06-03 12:36:33

@kbriggs 

I assume most read your initial post when posted and did not have an answer and never returned to see your question on controlling devices.

Most routers have a QoS settings to control devices.

If you power cycle the NVR, does it correct the problem?

Options
2021-06-04 14:46:11

@kbriggs the truth if you are right almost all routers or security systems have that button to restart in my case I had to learn it by mere merit with Ajax because it did not give a signal to my other cameras and I did not know that I had to restart the modem to fix things in the end I succeeded and because I had to search for myself I suppose that he got tired of waiting and therefore in the end he did not return to verify what was the answer that they left him.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2032

Replies: 8