TP-Link Archer T9UH Frequently and Intermittently Dropping WiFi Signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-05 06:04:02 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

A little over a year ago, I bought a new desktop tower computer. I had a very difficult time connecting to the internet and determined that the internal WiFi antenna was inadequate. I purchased a NetGear antenna that I plugged into a USB port on top of the tower. This seems to have worked until Windows 10 did an update that conflicted with the driver. Even after updating drivers, the problem persisted every time there was a Wondows 10 update. So I replaced it with my current TP-Link T9UH antenna. It's ability to maintain a steady WiFi signal has been hit or miss. Some days it works fine. Other days it drops every couple of minutes and may be out or intermittent for hours. Since I work from home and require internet access, this has been extremely frustrating and gets in the way of making my living.

I have been unable to determine if it is my computer, the antenna, the router, or our Optimum WiFi provider since there has been no consistent pattern to the problem. The router is in the living room and it is not practical to move it anywhere else. Our building is older and there are some thick masonry walls between the router and my office. So it is also possible that this is a problem with how the equipment is positioned.

Here are some possible clues:

- Sometimes the internal antenna that came with the computer is working and I have connectivity, albeit sometimes slow. But at the same time that is working, the TP-Link external antenna is not working - the blue light is flashing and the utility shows no connection. Sometimes neither works. Is it possible the two antennas are conflicting with each other?

- Sometimes, but not always, when the connection drops from the TP-Link, the computer makes the sound it normally makes when a USB device has been disconnected. I have tried plugging the antenna into different USB ports in case there was something faulty with the specific port, but it has made no difference. Again, it does not always make the sound when the signal drops.

- When my wife uses her laptop in the same room as the router, she will have connectivity when I don't, but sometimes we will both be down. This makes me wonder if some of this is being caused by the router or a drop in Optimum's service. It may not be the whole problem, but it may be contributory.

- Sometimes when the TP-Link is down, I can re-establish connectivity by pressing the WPS on the antenna and router. Today, however, it took five attempts to reconnect (this has been by far the worse day for connection drops I have had in weeks!).

- I reinstalled the driver (the latest version is from 06/20/16, before I bought the antenna) and it did not fix the problem.

Is there anything in this mess that makes sense to anyone as to what the problem might be? If it sounds like an issue where the computer is placed in relation to the router, would a signal relay or extender be an option? I could possibly position one between the office and living room and leave the doors open.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received! If any other information is needed, just ask. Thanks in advance for any help!

Gordon
Options
15 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer T9UH Frequently and Intermittently Dropping WiFi Signal
2017-02-05 23:15:57 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Thanks Johnsontp. My driver for the antenna is up-to-date, so that does not seem to be the problem.

Is there anything from the symptoms I listed that suggest what else it could be?
Options
2017-02-06 02:38:56 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
It is the Sagemcom F@st 3965CV that was provided by Optimum.
Options
2017-02-06 05:15:15 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Update...

After finding a map of the antenna sensitivity for this model, I realized it is "lobal" - two lobes from each of the flat surfaces and "blind spots" on the narrow edges. On a whim, I turned it around 45 degrees, so the flat side faces the doorway. So far today, I have not dropped signal during several hours of working. This has been so intermittent, of course, that it is too soon to say anything. It may go back to dropping tomorrow. BUT, now I am wondering if it isn't something so simple? Perhaps because of the distance from the router and the configuration of the walls between, something so minor as the angle of the antenna might make a big difference? I'm old enough to remember fiddling with antennas on TVs, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched!

Still, just in case this is another coincidence, I am still open to suggestions to troubleshoot other possibilities.

Thanks.
Options
2017-02-08 02:23:44 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Update...

While performance improved by changing the angle of the antenna, there are still issues. This morning I was unable to open any websites, but both the internal and external TP antennas showed connections. I had to reboot to get anything to work and then it dropped signal for about fifteen minutes. As I type this, both antennas are showing connections, except the TP's utility is not working and I had an error message saying to plug in a device...it is plugged in and has a steady blue light, meaning it is connected! I may need to reboot everything again.

So while not as bad as before, I am still left with a VERY flaky connection that is unreliable. I still have no idea if it is a fault with the TP-Link, or with Optimum. Considering I rely on a consistent internet connection for my living, this is getting very tiresome.
Options
2017-02-11 01:30:54 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Can anyone please help me here??

I am still having major connectivity issues. Everything was fine this morning and then now the TP-Link antenna will not connect witht the router though the internal antenna does (with a very weak signal). The utility software crashed twice and I have been unable to get it to connect after five attempts including after rebooting both the computer and router. Since the internal antenna gets a signal, I can only conclude that the fault is with the TP-Link antenna.
Options
2017-02-11 01:32:59 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
It failed to connect again and the software utility crashed "TWCU.exe has stopped working."
Options
2017-02-11 01:35:40 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
And now it gave the disconnected USB sound though the blue light is steady. An error message popped open "Please pug in a wireless adapter."
Options
2017-02-11 03:13:50 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
It has to be the TP-Link antenna that is faulty. I have a laptop set up right next to the tower and it access the WiFi fine - that's what I am using now. The software crashes, doesn't recognize that the adapter is in fact plugged in, and keeps dropping the signal.

How can I either fix this or else get my money back?
Options
2017-02-14 10:24:24 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
Tap, tap, tap...this thing on!?
Options
2017-03-14 23:39:58 - last edited 2021-12-16 05:48:10
So I guess that this forum is as useless as TP-Link products. Good to know.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9784

Replies: 15