Archer A6 Wake On Lan, on Cox.net network, Not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-22 17:36:40
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.7

I've set up wake on lan for my PC for when there are planned power outages and I am not home to reboot. On the LAN I am able to WOL no problem.

The I have configure to WOL when outside the LAN on WAN side.

No Joy.

I cannot get the packet to reach my PC.

I followed this FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/922/

I am on Cox.Net

and I've configure everything to that FAQ.

Any help is Much appreciated!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer A6 Wake On Lan, on Cox.net network, Not working
2021-09-23 07:05:21

@sddarkman619 

Go through this configuration guide again to check all the settings on the Archer A6:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/923/

Remember to check the WAN IP address on the A6, if it is a private IP address, you need to open the related port for it.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-23 19:03:19

@Kevin_Z 

Yeah I've done that over and over. Same stuff as the other FAQ.

I finally got it to work with using a VPN.

So I set up the VPN to the router and then I could do the WoL with the laptop away from home. But doing it with my cell phone wouldn't work even though I did the same thing with teh VPN on the cell.

So it was using OpenVPN, connect to the router. Then send magic packet via VPN to the LAN IP address not the WAN address. and this worked.

Options
2021-09-24 01:50:59

@sddarkman619 

I see. If that is the case, there will be something that we need to dig out. Please check the email follow-up if you are willing to do so.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-24 03:36:58

@Kevin_Z 

I have responded to your email wiht 3 emails.

Options
2021-12-04 21:16:36

@Kevin_Z 

When I read the configurations instructions, it ways to link the IP of the WAN - in my case, I believe this changes whenever I use OpenVPN to log onto the home network.   

please help

Options
2021-12-06 06:21:20

@Winger13 

Hello, if the WAN IP changes periodically, you can configure DDNS on the router and use the domain URL + port to wake from outside.

This is the guide for your reference to configure DDNS on the TP-Link router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/923/

Options
2021-12-21 05:33:47

@Kevin_Z I used NoIP, so changing ISP IP address is not of concern.

Options
2021-12-21 05:37:15

@sddarkman619 How did you get this to work over VPN - meaning using a windows machine that has remoted into the network using OpenVPN and WOL another machine inside the network ?   Can you provide some details? For the life of me, I cannot get WOL to work over OpenVPN, but WOL does work if I am logged on inside the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 967

Replies: 8

Related Articles