2x Deco + Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

2x Deco + Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2x Deco + Modem
2x Deco + Modem
2021-10-06 18:42:42
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a modem (non TP-Link) offering WiFi on the ground floor. I have two Deco M4 AC1200 connected to it via Ethernet. One is in the basement. One in the first floor. So there is no RF connection between the two. How can I set up all three devices to offer Mesh WiFi with seamless transition? Thank you. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:2x Deco + Modem
2021-10-08 05:41:28

@kAndy83 

Hi,  You could turn off the wireless network on the ground floor modem router and change Deco M4 into access point mode to take over all the wireless networks.

Options
2021-10-08 07:51:05

@TP-Link would I have to change both Decos to Access point mode? Any other setting I need to change? Don't forget that both Decos are connected to ground floor modem via Ethernet and have no direct RF connection. What setting/changes would I have to do at the modem? I am not an expert. Thank you.

Options
2021-10-09 01:14:07

@kAndy83 

Hi, yes.

You might need to put both M4s into access point mode.

There are detailed instructions:

1. Unplug one M4 from the Wi-Fi modem.

2. Hold the reset pinhole for 1s to reset it first.

3. Refer to this link and add this Deco into the first M4 mesh.

4. Go to More>advanced>operation mode and change to access point.

As for the modem, you might need to turn off the Wi-Fi on the modem if you do not want to have two separate wireless networks.

(or you could change the Wi-Fi name of the Deco to be the same as the Wi-Fi modem but please note one thing even though they share the same name, there would still be some delay when switching one to another. )

How to change the Wi-Fi name of Deco: go to Deco APP>More>Wi-Fi>network name(SSID)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 290

Replies: 3

Related Articles