Connection with telephone/wif modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-27 02:05:54

Will I be able to connect my new M5 Deco mesh to my comcast telephone/wifi combination modem? 

There are 3 open ethernet ports.  One port is connected to my pc.  There is a telephone port as well.

The installation directions seem to say that I need to disconnect my modem, but I'm not sure how I do that or how that will work.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Connection with telephone/wif modem
2022-02-28 02:01:09

@mandpw 

Hi, you don't have to disconnect the Comcast modem router. Since the default mode of Deco is a router and when they are connected together, you might have two routers.

It is very likely that you might have a double NAT issue. Thus you could consider configuring Deco M5 into access point mode:

Options
2022-02-28 03:33:34

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply.  Most helpful

Not sure what a "double NAT issue"  means......

Options
2022-02-28 05:52:22

@mandpw 

It could be simply explained as having two or more routers on a network and each router has its own DHCP and firewall.

Then devices that are connected to different routers are unable to access each other.

The following link would provide more details:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6277579

Options
2022-02-28 13:07:03

@David-TP 

thanks again.  Your explanation was simple and the article helpful. 
if I opt for the access point configuration what Deco benefits will I lose?
I have a Wi-Fi extender that I will be replacing. Is access point Deco like merely having multiple extenders or is it something better?

Options
2022-03-01 02:29:34

@mandpw 
if I opt for the access point configuration what Deco benefits will I lose?

The following link would provide more details:

I have a Wi-Fi extender that I will be replacing. Is access point Deco like merely having multiple extenders or is it something better?

The "Wi-Fi extender" here, do you mean the satellite Deco M5 or actually a wireless range extender, like RE450?

if it is the satellite Deco M5, the overall mesh performance, like the speed of the satellite nodes will be better than normal range extenders.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 386

Replies: 5

Related Articles