Static IP Addresses for Extender Clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-22 06:52:06
Model: RE230  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 2 Amcrest wifi security cameras that are connected to my home wifi network through a TP-Link RE230 extender and the extender keeps changing their IP addresses every day or two. I wanted to know if there is a way to assign them a static IP address by the extender itself (app or web). I am using an AT&T modem/router and it will not do that itself so it would need to be done through the extender.

I also have a couple other TP-Link extenders if the RE230 will not work. I also have an RE300 and an RE105.

It is really a pain because the security camera software I am using to monitor them live keeps losing connections to them when their IP address changes which makes me have to go in and manually change the IP's every time.

The only information I can find is on TP-Link routers to do this but since I am not using a TP-Link router that info is not relevant.

A static IP through one of the extenders would really be helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The extender itself has a static IP address, fyi.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Static IP Addresses for Extender Clients
2022-04-24 01:37:32

Hello   @ulterios 

May I  know do you use RE in range extender mode wirelessly to router or AP mode (wired to router)?

You could assign static IP(set IP reservation) on router for device's  'virtual' MAC address on router's client list. Range extender working as a Proxy will create a virtual MAC address  (which is the MAC address showed up on router) for the clients like laptops and mobile devices, and you could reverse an IP for using the virtual MAC address on router.  Here is a related FAQ that may help:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Note that the above could work for devices that do not need to roam between Router and RE, not suitable for mobile devices need to switch between RE and router WiFis.

Options