Deco XE5300 not working nicely with multiple Google Home devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-17 04:46:37
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20220429 Rel. 1970

Hi TP-Link!

I just got this 3-pack of XE5300 nodes, set them up as Access Point (to replace my Linksys Velop also in Access Point mode), updated firmware and was initially super happy.  I use Access Point because my ATT Fiber's modem has a router built in and it works fine (with WIFI disabled).

Anyway - all my (40?) devices seem to work OK, except for some Google Home / Nest Audio devices.  I have 2 Nest Audios, and 3 Nest Mini / Google Home Mini and they are all really flaky and mostly not staying connected.  In the same locations, my phone has been just fine (Pixel 6 Pro).

I've tried:

- Disabling the 802.11r stuff (Did it help some?  Could be, but they're still almost unusable)

- Disabling "Mesh" on the home devices from the Deco app

- Rebooting the Google devices and also rebooting the TP Link XE5300's.

For now, since my son was trying to get to sleep with the Nest Audio as a sound machine, and using it as an alarm clock, I replaced my upstairs XE5300 with the old Linksys Velop to make it reliable for now.

Any idea why Google Nest Audio devices are incompatible with my XE5300?  I tried the web interface on the main XE5300 AP, but there's not a lot of interesting logs about the devices.  Unfortunately since they were all fine with the Linksys equipment I may have to return these. 

I found similar reports like,

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-speakers-keep-losing-wifi-on-new-router-quot-Hold-on/m-p/115748

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/quot-Hang-on-while-I-get-connected-to-Wifi-quot/m-p/277420

I figure someone must have the same problems as me... but I need these home speakers to work, and may have to return these APs regardless of fault.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco XE5300 not working nicely with multiple Google Home devices
2022-11-17 21:53:50

@ChrisF4 

I have personally have used our Deco X95 and Currently Deco X50-POE systems, both running their latest firmware for those systems. I am also using the Deco app, fully updated to the latest IOS version, 3.0.46.  I also have several Google devices: 2 mini, and 3 Nest hubs.  I have not experienced any concerns with the connectivity of the 5 devices positioned throughout my 2 story home.   One issue I do experience is that sometimes the wrong speaker responds, but that is not related to the wireless connection or the Deco.  have you checked to ensure all Google devices are updated on their latest firmware?  I have found that my speakers sometimes don't auto update like they should.

Options
2022-11-18 00:36:49

@Carl my nest hub and hub max are fine, and I think maybe my 2nd gen Mini was OK, but my two 3rd gen Mini and two Nest Audios are both definitely unusable with the XE5300.  They're all up to date and were working fine until I swapped out the WIFI equipment.

I surrendered to this problem, and I'm now running a separate set of access points on a new SSID for these incompatible devices :(

Options
2022-11-21 16:59:41

@ChrisF4 

Okay that is good to know.  I have reached out to our engineering team and will let you know when I hear back.

Options
2022-11-21 17:48:41

@Carl if it helps, I'm an experienced Linux kernel engineer and if you need any logs or anything from the Deco device, I'm happy to try to grab them.

Distance to the router didn't seem to be a factor in them randomly dropping randomly.

Thanks,

Chris

Options
2022-12-21 23:19:19

@ChrisF4 If it's any help, I had similar problem with deco AXE5400 and nest mini (2nd/3rd gen).  Turning off beamforming worked for me but prior to that I had hard reset the nest mini so that may be a factor as well.  The hard reset alone did not fix the problem tho.

Options
2022-12-22 00:13:53

@PinUSA  

+1- disabling beamforming worked to solve 99% of the problem (or maybe 100%).  I guess this is solved, though I think TP-Link owes us a new firmware to let us re-enable beamforming.

Options
2023-03-19 18:49:19

@ChrisF4 

The beamforming resolution unfortunately didn't work for me, after 3 days, the speakers disconnected again - This is being discussed on the Google Forums as well.

It looks like the issue is related to WiFi 6. If you connect your speakers to the 2.4GHz WiFi guest network, they stay connected. But this breaks casting among a few other things.

Re: ALL nest speakers randomly disconnect from WiF... - Google Nest Community

Google speakers keep losing wifi on new router ("H... - Google Nest Community

I can see a patch was released for Deco as well:

Download for Deco W7200 | TP-Link

"Improved stability with 802.11AC 5G client devices such as Chromecast/Google Nest"

But this doesn't appear to have worked either. The only Google device this doesn't affect is my Google Home Max for some reason. Which is weird, because it's older than my Nest Audio's which do have the disconnection problem, despite having exactly the same WiFi specs.

I'm left wondering if this issue can ever be patched, or are we going to have to buy something else?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1560

Replies: 7

Related Articles