DECO XE5300 loses internet connection after reboot or power outage

2024-08-13 17:50:38 - last edited 2024-08-22 00:40:37
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Purchased a 3 pack from Costco when i switched to Spectrum service. Setup fine, however there was a power outage and when power was restored, the modem rebooted but the Deco had a solid red led. Spectrum tech came out and tested lines which were all fine. Tried restarting modem and Deco but it would not have internet connection. Further research showed the Deco woudl not grab an IP from the provider. Deco needed to be factory reset and reconfigured for it to work again.

A week later, the modem lost power again, the Deco led turned solid red which was expected, however when the modem service was restored, it would not connect to the internet and was assigning private IP range to the WAN. A call to tech support provided additional troubleshooting steps like chaning the DNS for the WAN connection. Resolution was to factory reset again and reconfigure. 

A couple of weeks later, i was fixing my wires and needed to unplug the modem. Deco lost connection to the internet and assigned it a private IP range despite modem being restored. Tried reseting everything to no avail. Called tech support for additional troubleshooting, but the resolution was to factory reset again and reconfigure. 

Last night i had knocked the plug out for the modem, and the DECO went out AGAIN. Took about an hour to factory reset and reconfigure because it needed to be done 3x, once becuase the led turned solid red while the app was setting up/testing the internet connection. 

I have a hard time believing this is normal. I've seen posts with others having this issue with other models but not the XE5300. has anyone encoutered or been able to reach resolution for this?  Ready to return and switch out to a different system. Just not sure which one to.  Reccomendations?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO XE5300 loses internet connection after reboot or power outage-Solution
2024-08-22 00:40:32 - last edited 2024-08-22 00:40:37

Spent a few days scouring the internet and forums for people with similar issues and seemed it came down to the auto sensing WAN/LAN Ports.  Last night I was finally able to connect with a senior TP Link engineer who was able to join me on a remote session and after about 90 min, determined that the cause of the issue was a TP Link powerline adapter I had. When the modem power went out, the deco would think the tplink adapter was the modem dhcp server and grab an IP from there. This was not an issue in the past with other routers because they had dedicated WAN Port.  Resolution in my case was to disable the DHCP server in the TP-Link Powerline adapter (which i did not know was there). Once that was disabled, if power was lost, then restored on the modem, the main deco would eventaully reestablish connection.  The tech also suggested connecting the powerline adapter to a satellite instead of the main deco.  Tech advised that they are working on a "set fixed wan port" for a future release but no estimated release date. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:DECO XE5300 loses internet connection after reboot or power outage
2024-08-14 03:52:08

@RKY , Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Can I have the model number of your Spectrum Cable modem?

Apart from the Spectrum modem, do you have any other wired devices that are connected to the main Deco XE5300 via Ethernet cables?

If you would like to further cooperate with us, the senior engineer would be glad to provide further assistance.

By the way, Did you save any systems log when the main Deco XE5300 turned red and dropped out?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-08-14 16:58:47

@David-TP 

Hitron EN2251

Yes.  there are additional devices, however this happens whether devices are connected or not. it occured during a factory reset and reconfiguration when there were no devices connected.

No i did not save any logs. how do you do that? 

I have also been tp-link tech support on a trouble ticket and they did not ask for any logs or advise how to get them. 

Options
2024-08-15 05:51:05

@RKY 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

As for the system log, when the internet dropped again and the main Deco turned red, you could log into the web UI http://tplinkdeco.net and go to Advanced>System>System log> Save to Local.

The detailed instructions can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412520

By the way, did the latest firmware 1.2.9 make any difference to the network stability issue here?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-08-16 22:25:29

@David-TP 

This is still an issue on the new firmware.  my modem got disconnected today and the LED turned solid red. when the modem came back online the deco remained red.  tried restarting both the modem and deco (once the modem came back online) and it remained red.  Needed to factory reset the deco yet again. During the reset/setup process, when the deco was trying to setup the network, the LED turned red and i needed to factory reset again.  

I did notice that when the deco turned red the first time, it changed my LAN IP to 192.168.0.1.  it was 192.168.200.1 previously.  

Also the http://tplinkdeco.net URL did not work when the deco went down, but i was able to find my gateway IP and access the site/logs that way. 

Options
2024-08-16 23:48:36

@RKY If the problem that persists is the router being assigned a private IP address try unplugging then plugging in the Deco, and about 10 seconds to 30 seconds later unplug and plug in the Spectrum router.  If you get the timing right I hope it gets passed the correct WAN address.  (This is what I'm doing with my Deco BE95 and AT&T BGW320-500).

Also can possibly consider investing in a UPS...

Options
2024-08-19 18:14:53

@jzchen 

Thank you. Issue isn't necessarily the private IP assignment. the issue is if there is an outage or the modem loses power the deco doesn't re-establish the connection. the only way to get it to work again is to factory reset the device. it even happens while recofniguring after a factory reset. 

jzchen wrote

@RKY If the problem that persists is the router being assigned a private IP address try unplugging then plugging in the Deco, and about 10 seconds to 30 seconds later unplug and plug in the Spectrum router.  If you get the timing right I hope it gets passed the correct WAN address.  (This is what I'm doing with my Deco BE95 and AT&T BGW320-500).

Also can possibly consider investing in a UPS...

Options
Re:DECO XE5300 loses internet connection after reboot or power outage-Solution
2024-08-22 00:40:32 - last edited 2024-08-22 00:40:37

Spent a few days scouring the internet and forums for people with similar issues and seemed it came down to the auto sensing WAN/LAN Ports.  Last night I was finally able to connect with a senior TP Link engineer who was able to join me on a remote session and after about 90 min, determined that the cause of the issue was a TP Link powerline adapter I had. When the modem power went out, the deco would think the tplink adapter was the modem dhcp server and grab an IP from there. This was not an issue in the past with other routers because they had dedicated WAN Port.  Resolution in my case was to disable the DHCP server in the TP-Link Powerline adapter (which i did not know was there). Once that was disabled, if power was lost, then restored on the modem, the main deco would eventaully reestablish connection.  The tech also suggested connecting the powerline adapter to a satellite instead of the main deco.  Tech advised that they are working on a "set fixed wan port" for a future release but no estimated release date. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 222

Replies: 7

Related Articles