UAPSD - Available on X55?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-13 18:41:30 - last edited 2023-02-15 13:03:30
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20221102 Rel. 66085

No idea what hardware version, but just bought a 2 pack of Deco x55s.

Moved from UniFi and UniFi Pro APs. These had UAPSD (WiFi Power saving). Is this built-in to the Deco x55? Is it an option?

Without it my WiFi remote battery life is seriously degraded (according to my integrator).

Thanks.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:UAPSD - Available on X55?-Solution
2023-02-14 18:56:26 - last edited 2023-02-15 13:03:30

@tpJack,

I haven't heard of this feature before, if you can provide more information, I can see if we provide a similar feature. And if we don't I would be more than happy to pass the recommendation to our development team.

As an FYI, when it comes to our Deco Mesh, most of the settings for the network are self-configuring depending on the needs of the network. Mesh Nodes operate differently than APs do, so this feature may be a part of the network naturally.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-02-15 13:01:56 - last edited 2023-02-15 13:03:41

@Riley_S 

According to support, uAPSD is not supported in Deco's.

uAPSD stands fo Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery. It is part of the 802.11e Standard and is a power saving mode for WiFi clients. For WiFi IoT devices (versus Z-Wave or ZigBee) it can extend battery life of the device significantly. At least that is the theory.

When I had UniFi, it was disabled because I didn't have any WiFi-only battery powered devices. Now Control4's new Halo remotes are WiFi only (instead of Zigbee) and some suggest that turning uAPSD on will significantly improve the remote's battery life.

I just go mine yesterday so jury is still out on battery life.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-02-14 18:56:26 - last edited 2023-02-15 13:03:30

@tpJack,

I haven't heard of this feature before, if you can provide more information, I can see if we provide a similar feature. And if we don't I would be more than happy to pass the recommendation to our development team.

As an FYI, when it comes to our Deco Mesh, most of the settings for the network are self-configuring depending on the needs of the network. Mesh Nodes operate differently than APs do, so this feature may be a part of the network naturally.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-02-15 13:01:56 - last edited 2023-02-15 13:03:41

@Riley_S 

According to support, uAPSD is not supported in Deco's.

uAPSD stands fo Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery. It is part of the 802.11e Standard and is a power saving mode for WiFi clients. For WiFi IoT devices (versus Z-Wave or ZigBee) it can extend battery life of the device significantly. At least that is the theory.

When I had UniFi, it was disabled because I didn't have any WiFi-only battery powered devices. Now Control4's new Halo remotes are WiFi only (instead of Zigbee) and some suggest that turning uAPSD on will significantly improve the remote's battery life.

I just go mine yesterday so jury is still out on battery life.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:UAPSD - Available on X55?
2023-02-15 22:24:52 - last edited 2023-02-16 00:14:42

@tpJack,

So its funny that you brought this up. I actually just saw in our system today that our engineers are developing the firmware to add different power-saving modes to the deco. I believe that they are developing this for the Deco M4 First, with future decos hopefully to follow.

Until more decos are updated with the feature, would you mind updating this post if you are finding that the lack of the setting is affecting the battery life of your devices? I do have to say that I have similar but not the same devices on my network, which does not offer the setting, and I have never assumed that something may be affecting the battery life of devices.

Something else to consider - Since you have a mesh with multiple nodes, your remote will not have to work as hard to establish and maintain its wireless connections, so the effects may not be as drastic as your technician implied.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 660

Replies: 3

Related Articles