TPLink RE450 needs reboot every hour

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-19 00:04:03
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

I can connect to me TPLink extender but only for a small window of time before I get no internet connection and devices have a hard time recognizing 2.4 and 5GHz. All blue lights. Rebooting works but as I work from home this is a pain. Tether app under Tools--System does not show an option to upgrade firmware. What to do? This is a daily frustration.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TPLink RE450 needs reboot every hour
2023-02-21 02:00:34

@TechnoNick welcome to the community.

May I know how long have you had RE450?

I see you mentioned that "devices have a hard time recognizing 2.4 and 5GHz", Do you mean after they lost the internet connection, they were unable to reconnect to the WiFi of RE450?

May I know the model number of your main router? It is also suggested to refer to this link to modify the wireless settings on the main router:

Recommended settings on the host router to work well with TP-Link Range Extenders

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-21 07:49:13

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply.  I have a C4000XG modem/router from CenturyLink.  My solution to the problem was to change the extender to Access Point mode and run an Ethernet cable direct.  I followed these instructions (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1401/) and can connect to the extender's WiFi but it says "Not Connected to the Internet".  This is my ideal solution because I can extend the range even further if I figure this out.  I don't seem to have the option of Access Scheduling in my advanced settings, however I have a Wireless Scheduling for each SSID.

Your other question however--I could connect to the extender's Wi-Fi after it dropped the internet connection but my phone, for example, would think for a moment when I would connect and then automatically jump back over to the main WiFi's weaker signal.  For the computer I would just have to switch back over to weak signal as well, even though I could see that the signal from the extender appeared strong.

Hope that makes enough sense.  Thank you.

Options
2023-02-23 01:52:01
Trying to figure out which settings I need to change in the host router is too difficult for someone less technical like me. Anyone else deal with CenturyLink modems?
Options
2023-02-23 21:20:19

@TechnoNick 

Nick.  I received your email today.  Per the sound of it your CL gateway has an ACL (access control list) that is blocking the extender.  Even in AP mode. it appears access to the internet interface is blocked.  Unfortunately, we do not have any working knowledge of the CL gateway, so we can't tell you what settings to look at.  My recommendation would be to contact CenturyLink and ask them to help check for ACL that could be blocking the extender from connecting.  This should then allow you to then to use the extender in RE mode.  If that doesn't result in anything you can also ask about them providing a modem only device.  We can then suggest a router that you could use.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 633

Replies: 4

Related Articles