Mesh Systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh Systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh Systems
Mesh Systems
2023-04-11 14:25:56
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an Archer AX 21.   Its not a speed demon but Im considering adding one for a mesh system.   I have a wireless camera outside that doesn't get great reception.  Id like to add an access point downstairs to help offload the one upstairs.   Only problem is the second router will have a wireless backhaul.   Is it worth it?  WIll it help at all?   I can't get a wire where Im trying to place the new AP.   

Thoughts?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Mesh Systems
2023-04-11 16:28:39 - last edited 2023-04-11 16:29:53

@kpayton2022,

Mesh networks are meant to work with wireless backhauls. Even though there is a falloff of speeds and latency, the change is not usually seen unless you are using your devices to their maximum capacity or gaming; for normal network usage the wireless backhauls will work fine. However, mesh systems do allow you to expand your network much further by talking to each other rather than requiring a connection directly to the main router.

I would recommend looking at our OneMesh technology before looking at scrapping your current system, especially since the AX21 is OneMesh compatible. If you buy another OneMesh-compatible Range Extender or Powerline device, these devices can work together to create a mesh network using your existing router.

Options
2023-04-11 17:59:55

@Riley_S Thanks for the information.   So wouldn't another AX21 essentially be forming a mesh like system?   Meaning I put another AX21 downstairs and basically tell the upstairs router that this is a mesh system - Wouldn't they communicate with one another?  

The Devices that will be connecting downstairs are going to be a gaming console possible television streaming and 2-4 cameras.   You were mentioning the back haul is meant to not be seen but since these are streaming type of devices do you foresee that being an issue?

Options
2023-04-11 20:04:50

@kpayton2022,

OneMesh currently doesn't support creating a mesh between routers, for that you would need to look towards EasyMesh, as our teams are beginning to test and roll out Router-Router Mesh Support; but has only been given to a few models so far. Right now, both Onemesh and EasyMesh is mainly supported with one router and a series of Range Extenders or Power line Devices.

With two routers you would need to configure the second router as an Acess Point, but this would require a wired connection to the AP.

The difference is how your devices transition between nodes and frequencies. Access Points are almost treated like a separate network by your phone, meaning when you are closer to the AP, your device will fully switch to using the AP for its connection. In a mesh network, it is more likely that your device would be moved between bands before moving nodes as the nodes are all talking together to optimize your connection, providing a more stable experience for devices on your network, especially devices that will need to move around.

You will be more than fine with those speeds going through a backhaul, I am talking more about users that are looking to push the gigabit connections as far as they can. Game Consoles and Streaming do not take up too much bandwidth, something like 8Mbps for HQ content, with your cameras most likely using even less as the video is compressed and usually lower quality. 

Technically your backhaul is only limited by the connection given, meaning the backhaul will use its full available bandwidth to communicate with the main node, minus environmental factors. If the wireless connection between the nodes is weak, the total backhaul bandwidth will decrease but should still be above what you are needed.

Options
2023-04-11 20:30:14

@Riley_S   Do you have any suggestions for Range Extenders?   I think these have been given a bad rep over time from what Ive read on them   

Options
2023-04-12 00:49:32 - last edited 2023-04-12 00:49:39

@kpayton2022

Range Extenders in their default operation mode are like the "black sheep" of the networking world. The way they work is by receiving a signal and then creating and repeating the signal. Unfortunately, this results in speeds that are usually dramatically lower than what you would have initially expected, meaning users will see the total rated speed halved. Plus, as it is being repeated, there will be increased latency. For these reasons, it is far better to overbuy than underbuy.

Onemesh configurations suffer less than when used as a traditional RE, however the falloff is still there. If you are looking to funnel a lot of traffic through the device, I would recommend getting an RE that is more powerful than you think you need. This will give the RE a better connection and therefore a higher possible bandwidth. Also keep in mind that onemesh is proprietary and would require a compatible RE from TP-Link.

Options
2023-04-12 14:58:40

@Riley_S Any recommendations on an RE?  I know TP Link makes them but any one of them thats more favorable than the other?   

Options
2023-04-12 20:18:55

@Riley_S For the OP would the TL-WPA7517 KIT support mesh over power line with the AX21?  On its page OpenMesh is not mentioned but does show in the comparison.

Options
2023-04-13 11:15:01

@AStuff   This looks like an Ethernet over power solution I think?   

Options
2023-04-13 16:23:01

@AStuff - The Overview is technically only a marketing page, both the specification page and user guide show support and instructions for the feature

The Powerline Kits are able to form a mesh by using the in wall cabline as a backhaul - technically eliminating the loss from Wireless Backahuls, but also while introducing other potential sources of loss.

The effectiveness of these kits is widely dependent on how your home's circuits are wired, whether your lines are degraded, and if the circuit is susceptible to interference from appliances. For many users, the powerline connection is more than enough and can help in situations where wireless signals cannot go through walls, such as concrete walls; but it is still limited in where it can be deployed

Options