AX11000 - 2.4G clients no longer connectings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-30 13:41:08
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20221122 rel. 45807

I have no idea what happened, but overnight my 2.4G clients disconnected and won't reconnect.  Nothing has changed on the router or WiFi as far as settings go.

I tried rebooting the router and rebooting a couple of the clients, and they still will not connect.

My 5G clients seem to be connecting just fine.  It's just the 2.4.

Any thoughts on what might cause this or how to troubleshoot further?

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX11000 - 2.4G clients no longer connectings
2023-05-30 18:15:55

@cableguy31,

Are you able to tell if the disconnect is all your 2.4Ghz clients, or only a select few? 

Does your Tether App or Web Interface indicate that the 2.4Ghz network is being broadcast still?

Are you able to factory reset or reconfigure the network settings of one of the disconnected devices to see if it is able to connect?

You may try disabling Smart Connect, and configuring a separate 2.4Ghz network for your devices. This way you can try and narrow down the cause.

I would also recommend taking a look at the router's system logs for any information that could indicate an error or cause.

Options
2023-05-30 20:04:37

@Riley_S 

Are you able to tell if the disconnect is all your 2.4Ghz clients, or only a select few?  All 2.4Ghz clients have been disconnected.

Does your Tether App or Web Interface indicate that the 2.4Ghz network is being broadcast still? Yes.  I can see it from my laptop and my phone, but it won't allow me to join.

Are you able to factory reset or reconfigure the network settings of one of the disconnected devices to see if it is able to connect? I tried connecting from my iPhone and it gives me and "Unable to join the network" message.

You may try disabling Smart Connect, and configuring a separate 2.4Ghz network for your devices. This way you can try and narrow down the cause. Smart Connect is disabled; I have each of the frequencies on separate SSIDs.

I would also recommend taking a look at the router's system logs for any information that could indicate an error or cause. There is zero information in the logs about any WiFi connectivity.  In fact, the "Network" log is completely empty.

Options
2023-05-30 20:20:46

@Riley_S 

Ok, so don't ask me why this worked, but as a test, I disabled the 5Ghz frequencies for my guest network to see if I could connect to 2.4 on guest.  Then all of a sudden all of my private 2.4 devices started connecting again.

Then I re-enabled the 5Ghz guest network and they all dropped, so I disabled them again.  However this time with the 5Ghz guest networks disabled, the 2.4 connections didn't come back.  So for laughs, I re-enabled the 5Ghz guest networks.  Now everything came back up and is connecting.

When I disabled/re-enabled the guest networks, I noticed that all of my wireless dropped.  I'm guessing the router is doing something that resets the wireless when making these changes.  There still seems to be something odd that there is no consistency or reason for this happening.  I'm concerned that the next time my router reboots, I will run into the same problem.

As of right now everything is working again.

Options
2023-05-31 19:27:13

@cableguy31,

Do you happen to know if you had the Guest Network so that it could see the devices on the main network? Normally the two networks are separate, but there are a few settings, such as local device discovery and bandwidth limits, that could potentially link the guest and main networks - opening the door for some odd behaviors.

Hopefully the behavior was limited and will not come back on a reboot, or can at least be fixed with a simple change until a source for the behavior can be found. I would think, that if your network settings are working correctly, your router should be fine on a reboot as it should just pick up from where it left off.

If the behavior does occur again, you may try enabling smart connect to see if the additional roaming between bands will keep the 2.4GHz network alive.

Also, do you happen to have any other advanced networking devices on your network such as a local DNS or firewall? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 4

Related Articles