Archer AX90 as range extender to AXE16000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-02 04:07:22
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have recently upgraded my home network to get 5gbps service so also upgraded my router to the AXE16000 for its speed.  With the upgrade I retired my Archer AX90/AX6600 router and would like to now use it as a OneMesh range extender out in my shop.  Is this possible to do and how would I go about configuring it to do so?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer AX90 as range extender to AXE16000
2023-10-05 21:37:37

@rbeez 

You can't use two routers to build a Onemesh netwotk - check this FAQ - Q10/A10.

AX90 has two working modes - router mode and access point mode.

But you could use AX90 in AP mode (Case 1) to expand the AXE300 wireless coverage.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-05 22:28:15

@terziyski 

thanks for the info. Unfortunately AP mode isn't what I want as I don't want to run a cable the 200ft away, and outside, to my shop where I would use it. 

looks like best option is to just sell the old one and buy a range extender for out there. I do get signal if I'm by a window or have my roll up door open just not when I have it closed up. 

any idea why WDS mode was removed or bridging mode seems it should have all the required hardware and is simply a software limitation?

thanks for the assistance!

Options
2023-10-05 22:58:32

@rbeez 

Your router models are upper level routers and ussually they are intended to be a main router in the network.

Usually the routers from lower level are featured with WDS or "range extender mode" which is better feature in terms of compatibility.

Of course there were some exceptions like AX11000 and AX6000, but nowadays that's the trend and of course the Easymesh feature which allows you to use two routers in a wireless or wired mesh.

By the way if you have an Easymesh capable router you probably would be able to use it in wireless mesh as a sattelite with AXE300 (Onemesh capable) - check this post.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-06 03:17:40

@terziyski 

Yeah I only have these two routers so looks like even easymesh is not an option in this case as the AX6600 has no easymesh settings.  Think I'll just post it up on eBay and get what I can then go from there, maybe just not worry about it at all and just leave as is and further upgrades plan a little better as I just assumed I could mesh the two together/bridge them in some way.

Thanks for all the help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 790

Replies: 4

Related Articles