Extending wifi to a separate building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-30 18:02:48
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I installed a Deco M5 in our house in 2020. Works great! We have a cottage-type building about 150 feet away from our house, on the back of our property. There are several arbor vitae trees in front of it. Is there any range extender that works with our model that would extend the signal to this building? We do have a shed that would protect an exterior extender from the elements, but I live in Vermont and it can get very cold. Shed is not heated. If nothing for the "home" wifi system, any recommendations for a "business" system that would work? Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extending wifi to a separate building
2023-10-30 21:12:44

@NKCS,

Depending on your environment and distances, you may consider the Deco X50-Outdoor, which may bring enough coverage to your cottage. Ideally, you will want to look at wired connections to the other building, such as running underground ethernet cables.

Any type of consumer range extender will likely suffer from the same problems you would see without the extender since it would be repeating an already weak signal. You may look towards CPEs which allow point to point connections, but these have a much more advanced setup and will not work with your deco mesh.

Options
2023-10-30 21:22:51

@NKCS 

Riley,

Thanks. I have an underground cable running out to the building. Used for TV but we dropped our cable service and just stream now. So I had the connection disconnected. I will contact my ISP (a local company, not a big corporate one - very responsive) and ask about getting another router out there. However, they may charge me for 2 internet accounts. Not worth it. And I'd have to buy the router. But I'll check. Your answer is much appreciated.

Options
2023-12-07 21:51:57 - last edited 2023-12-07 22:42:29

@NKCS We've successfully connected a Deco X55 in our barn to a Deco X55 in our house. The barn is 550 feet from the house.  There is a clear line of sight - no trees - between the structures, and we live in a very rural area without much other wireless traffic to cause interference. Although the Deco app says the barn X55's signal is weak, devices that are connected to the barn X55 are getting good throughput. Both X55 units are inside their respective structures, so the signals are going through walls. So far, unit in the barn has been exposed to temperatures as low as 25F and hasn't apparently had trouble yet - though we've only owned them for 10-15 days.  If you are OK purchasing another Deco unit, get an X50 which has advertised operating temperature tolerance down to -22F.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1324

Replies: 3

Related Articles