Requested features for the BE800 firwmare

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-07 15:56:38 - last edited 2023-11-07 15:59:03
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I really love the raw power and speed of my BE800 since upgrading to it to take advantage of my 2gig Fiber from Frontier.  It's missing a few key things that would catapult the device into the stratosphere, if added as features.  I'll try to share them here and do a bit of explaining as to why I'd like to see them 

1. Smart Connect improvements
    1. I'd like to see the 6Ghz band added to Smart Connect.  Currently I have my 6Ghz band with the same SSID and security settings as the 2.4/5Ghz Smart Connect.  This mostly works as the endpoint devices will steer to the 6Ghz band when it range and switch to the Smart Connect Bands when the signal gets too weak.  The issues I see with this is that the handoff isn't as smooth as it is soley up to the endpoint device to make the decision to switch and there is no steering input from the router as to when to switch from the 6Ghz band to the Smart Connect Bands and visa versa.  This sometimes creates a short window on the endpoints where the wifi drops entireless while jumping on/off the 6Ghz band.  Adding the 6Ghz band to Smart Connect would resolve this entirely
    2. Giving a Smart Connect option for the IOT network would also streamline thing a bit more.  I currently have around 35 devices registered to my IOT network and took the same route of naming both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands the same SSID and identical security creditials.  This seems to be working fine as my security cameras did eventually switch to the 5Ghz band, but it took over 12 hours for them to switch on their own after being originally registered to the 2.4Ghz network and not having the 5Ghz network intitially enabled.
  2. More realtime Monitoring. 
    1. My previous device Asus devices had some pretty powerful realtime monitoring GUI elements allowing me to track in real-time bandwidth consumption on a device by device basis.  This is totally missing in the current BE800 firmware and is something I would enjoy seeing added as a feature
  3. Deeper reporting/analytics. 
    1. Beyond the weekly report that is available through the iOS app, the web GUI is completely devoid of any reporting dashboards whatsoever.  While I am fortunate enough to have an ISP with no bandwidth or usage caps, I do like to keep on eye on the day to day bandwidth usage of my devices.  I like to keep an eye on the upload status in particular for things like my Tesla, to judge how much of my telemetry is being sent back to them for their FSD Beta program as an example.
  4. More options for Dynamic DNS
    1. I'd like to see a greater variety of Dynamic DNS providers added as native options of the router.  I'm currently trying to decide what to do long term with my Domain I previously had with Google Domains, which got transfered to Squarespace and the current options of NO-IP and DynDNS feels a little limiting in terms of choices for Dynamic DNS providers
  5. Adblocker support
    1. I currently use a Raspberry PI running Pi-Hole to run a Pi-Hole server to do DNS based adblocking on my networks.  I used this for years with my previous Asus routers, but temporarily gave the solution a rest when the Netgear router I was testing came with it's own adblock blacklisting feature.  It worked nearly as well as Pi-Hole and I'd love to see TPLink add this as a feature to your software set.

I've ready across the net that a few of these items such as some of the Smart Connect improvements may already be in on the roadmap for development/implemenation which is great.  I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything stating this.  Thanks for reading!

Options