What is the best long range nonmesh router?

2024-06-10 20:57:24

Options
6 Reply
Re:What is the best long range nonmesh router?
2024-06-10 21:25:39 - last edited 2024-06-11 01:54:03

@kolenda52 

There are some models that can suit your needs like Archer C2300, Archer C50 or TL-WR841HP (only 2.4Ghz band).

Their availability depends on the local market though.

These router models are with a firmware that doesn't include a mesh capability.

On the other hand you could use any router that has a wide range wireless coverage and just turn off its mesh capability.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-06-10 23:05:38

@terziyski @kolenda52 

I would not recommend any of those models. 

The C2300 and Archer C50 are Wi-Fi 5 Models.  The TL-WR841N is a Wi-Fi 4 Model.  The C50 and 841HP are also only equipped with Fast Ethernet.  This means no matter what your ISP speed is, your internet speed would be a maximum of 100 Mbps.  

Rather than randomly give a suggestion right now, please let me know the following:

1.  What is your internet speed?

2.  What is the coverage area you need?

3.  What features are improtant to you. 

Options
2024-06-12 13:27:40

@Carl 

Thank you for your response. I mistakenly replied to the email and just realized it didn't make it to the forum.

Internet speed currently 500Mps

2 story with a pool in the backyard approximately 50 feet from the house and 100 feet from router

Features: at least Wifi 6 and long enough range to reach the pool

Currently have 73 clients which are not all active at the same time.

I currently have a Deco X55 with 2 satellite clients which failed us miserably a couple of weeks ago while we were gone on a 2 week vacation. Internet dropped off a couple of times in secsesion causing the main unit to reboot a couple of times after which neither one of the satellites came back on until we got back and unplugged them and restarted them. None of the clients associated with the satellites were picked up by the main unit. Things like security cameras, landscape watering controls, smart thermometers and others never came back on. Needless to say we can't have this happen again.

Steve

Options
2024-06-12 13:53:33

@kolenda52 

Just about any WiFi 6 router will get the distance as all are limited to the power they can broadcast. Get one with beamforming. Get a tri-band to help with the number of devices. Location and position of the router matters a lot. A few feet and direction it faces makes a difference. I would use an extender for a trouble area before a mesh system. 

Options
2024-06-12 14:37:57

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for your response I'm looking at TP-Link AXE5400.

Options
2024-06-12 15:46:47

I love our community.  @ArcherC8 as always your suggestions are detailed and valuable.  @kolenda52 I would not have much to add to this suggestion other then if you do decided to go with an Range Extender i would recommend this one  It ideally pairs with the AXE5400, and is also planned to have EasyMesh added to its feature set.  I don't have a roadmap of when, but when that does happen you can create a Mesh network, if desired, by a few button clicks in the router's UI and have seamless transistions between the nodes.  

For your backyard and pool area you might need an outdoor extender, which we do not make at this time, but any brand extender should work with the router.  Just wanted that to be made aware incase the router or indoor extender do not provide the range you need in the yard.  Deco does have an outdoor unit, but i know you had issues with a Deco system and your faith in those units might not be 100%.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1335

Replies: 6

Related Articles