Naming Wifi Extender

Naming Wifi Extender

Naming Wifi Extender
Naming Wifi Extender
a week ago
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased two wifi enxtenders. 

When I installed them their Netwrok name defaultet to my main network name then it added _Ext at the end. Which would mean I would have to log into the wifi extender seperately when I hit a dead spot in my house.

My question is this; If I renamed the network Name and password to be the identically same name as my main wifi router, wouldnt then devices, such as my laptop, would automatically connect through one of the extenders seemlessly as if it was the main wifi router?

Thanks in advance

Options
8 Reply
Re:Naming Wifi Extender
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Blueshadow 

To achieve seamless roaming between your wireless router and the RE200 they should be configured in Easymesh or Onemesh.

Otherwise your client devices should behave the same whether the RE200 extended SSID is the same as on your wireless router or not.

Nevertheless, you can name the RE200 extended SSID the same and test how it goes.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
a week ago

@terziyski 

It appears that my main wifi router (evolution digital) that was supplied by my cable company does not support onemesh or easy mesh. They have disabled the wps button as well

Options
a week ago

@Blueshadow 

You should be able to use the Tether app (available for Android and iOS) to conveniently access the settings of your RE220 and change its SSID (Wi-Fi Name) to match that of your router, so your wireless devices do not need to learn a new network name.

Options
Friday

@Ryan 

Thank you

That is what I ended up doing. But initially someone had said that it wouldn't work that way, that it had to be connected as a mesh network for devices to stay connected as I moved from the routers area into the extenders area.  But so far it seems to be working as one network

Options
Friday

@Blueshadow 

Linking a non "Mesh" router (like your router) with the RE220 extender will do what you want, as long as both use identical SSIDs & passwords (on one or both bands, 2.4 & 5 GHz). You should experience few problems if your devices don't move often within your house. For devices that move or those stopping/staying in an area where signals from your router and the RE220 overlap, then based on local factors (e.g. how much their signal-areas overlap, strength of signals, interference from microwave ovens/etc, neighbor's Wi-Fi/band congestion, etc.), such devices may switch once (or even flip-flop repeatedly) between your router and extender. During each switch the device will temporarily "lose signal" for maybe a second (but up to 3-5 seconds) while it "re-negotiates" its connection. If your apps buffer its received/streamed data, you shouldn't notice a degradation. But if you're sending data during a re-negotiation, your data will have slight delays/gaps and then will resume.

Devices on "Mesh" networks (like TP-Link's OneMesh and the industry-standard EasyMesh) should never (theoretically) ping-pong back and forth. That's because mesh networks keep track of where your device is (relative to each mesh-node), and intelligently decide which one node (the closest one) it will connect to at any time. Then when the device moves, that mesh-node will hand-off your device to another node as your device moves farther. Most mesh networks also use beam-forming to "aim" the Wi-Fi signal to a narrow area near your device, allowing it to "focus" the signal. They can do this with multiple devices simultaneously. Modern non-Mesh routers also use beam-forming.

If you don't move often within your house and your router & RE220 Wi-Fi signals are both strong, you should be fine.

If this helps you, please click once on the upward pointing arrow. If this solves your issue, click on the star to mark this as a "Recommended Solution."
Options
Friday

@HelpingOne 

Thank you

Yes, for my use, matching the extenders ssid and password to that of the main router should work fine.

The two main reasons I needed the extenders where for when Im outside on the back patio, the main wifi signal was weak there and cell phones would not stay connected and then I have an exterior security camera overlooking the driveway in the front of the house which always had a poor signal and would disconnect from the network ocassionally.

So, I wanted to extend my wifi signals to cover these dead spots. The security camera obviously never moves so once its connected through the extender that should rectify that problem.

So far, it seems to be working perfect.

I was initally told that naming the extenders with the same ssid/password as the maon router would not work, as the main router would get confused by the extenders and the extenders would stop working. The only way for them to work harmonisouly was if they were connected in a mesh network. I have only a basic knowledge in this area. But that advice didnt seem completely correct. So I posted here.

Thank you for your input

Options
Monday

@Blueshadow 

when you say you changed the password to match, how did you do that?
I have an issue and rather than post a new post, maybe the answer is in here.

I have 2 x TP Link RE200 extenders and the passwords were the same as my Vodafone WiFi password.

However, when one the the extenders stopped working, I looked in the app and saw that the password has changed...and it's now massive - about 50 characters long.

I'd love to change it back, but doesn't seem possible, so I was interested in your comment about matching the passwords.

Thanks

Options
Monday

@Blueshadow 

I was able to edit/change the SSID and password in the app

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 121

Replies: 8

Related Articles