2.4, 5, and 6 ghz bands and SSID names

Sunday
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.19 Build 20240719 Rel. 42399

I've noticed that the 2.4 and 5 ghz band SSID is the same as what I set, but the 6 ghz band gets an SSID with "_6GHz" appended to it.

Would it everything function correctly if I named all the SSIDs the same?

Options
3 Reply
Re:2.4, 5, and 6 ghz bands and SSID names
Sunday

@Iceman803 

I have not attempted to rename the 6 GHz band to align with the other bands in the app, so I am uncertain about the outcome of such an action or whether the Deco app permits renaming it. 

From my understanding, the Deco devices will still utilize the 6 GHz band for compatible devices, regardless of its name in comparison to the other bands. Currently, I choose to hide the SSID for the 6 GHz band.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
Tuesday

@Iceman803 

I believe it is better to keep two distinct SSID, because a device will not transparently roam between the 2.4/5 wifi network and the 6ghz wifi network.

From the perspective of the wireless device, they behave as two separate mesh.
For the same reason, you do not want to assign the same SSID to for Deco mesh and to your ISP modem.

Having the same SSID  for two seperate wifi networks will confuse the devices and the users.

Options
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

yves_b wrote

@Iceman803 

I believe it is better to keep two distinct SSID, because a device will not transparently roam between the 2.4/5 wifi network and the 6ghz wifi network.

From the perspective of the wireless device, they behave as two separate mesh.
For the same reason, you do not want to assign the same SSID to for Deco mesh and to your ISP modem.

Having the same SSID  for two seperate wifi networks will confuse the devices and the users.

So if my 2.4/5Ghz SSID is ABC, when my iPhone 16 Pro Max comes in (which is Wifi 7 compatible), do I attach it to SSID ABC or ABC_6GHz?

… or is the "_6GHz" suffix a Wifi 7 standard or something that Wifi 7 compatible devices will automagically understand?

Options