Archer C7 V2: Incredibly slow/unstable speeds all of a sudden

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-03 08:23:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I've had the Archer C7 for several months and have had no real issues with it until a few days ago. The wifi never dropped and the router almost never needed any reboots and I was always able to get my full speed from my ISP (50mbps) over either band. As of a few days ago, however, I've been getting very severe lag, with speed tests giving results all over the place, but usually somewhere around 2mbps, which is very slow compared to what I pay for. I've tried several reboots and they don't help. I even troubleshot with my ISP, assuming it was on their end, but a direct connection to the modem from the PC gave my full, consistent speed. As soon as the router was reintroduced, the speeds went back to super slow.

I tried the latest firmware and restoring factory defaults but it's still extremely slow and unstable. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for me?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C7 V2: Incredibly slow/unstable speeds all of a sudden
2017-02-04 03:16:33
US firmware

Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

The issues happen wired or on 2.4/5ghz bands.
Options
2017-02-04 05:16:10
I'm seeing the same thing. Identical Firmware and Hardware versions. I've only had the router since Wednesday, but it has been incredibly unstable. The router stays up, and I can ping from the router out, but no traffic from clients gets through. A reboot resolves the problem for anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 hours.
Options
2017-02-04 14:15:02

r0cketman wrote

I'm seeing the same thing. Identical Firmware and Hardware versions. I've only had the router since Wednesday, but it has been incredibly unstable. The router stays up, and I can ping from the router out, but no traffic from clients gets through. A reboot resolves the problem for anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 hours.

What do you mean by mentioning "I can ping from the router out"? When the issue happens, could you login the management page of the router?
In addition, have you set up any special settings on the router, for example, bandwidth control.
Options
2017-02-05 08:12:43

tplink wrote

What do you mean by mentioning "I can ping from the router out"? When the issue happens, could you login the management page of the router?
In addition, have you set up any special settings on the router, for example, bandwidth control.

Yesterday, I could still log into the management page of the router while experiencing the problem, then use the Ping and Traceroute functions. However, today it's been even worse, if I lose Wi-Fi connectivity, it's lost and I can't log into the management page at all. Furthermore, if I've lost Wi-Fi connectivity, my WIRED connections still work. What is going on with this router?!?
Options
2017-05-06 04:45:11
Bump
Options
same problem
2017-05-12 08:01:52
Same problem here with the same router and updated firmware. I've had mine for 27 days and I've never been able to get it stable, although recently it's gotten worse. The speed has tanked to the lowest I've had since getting the thing and the internet connection constantly stalls out on both lan and wireless. It almost seems like the router is choking on the data my cable modem is trying to send. If I open a page with a lot of images, it always stalls out in the first third of images till I refresh several times. It's irritating. I have two network ports on my pc and the results are the same on both. I don't have any special settings and I've turned hardware acceleration off.
Options
2017-05-12 23:28:35
I finally gave up on waiting for this router to stabilize and I returned it. That's two for two requiring a return. :(

r0cketman wrote

Yesterday, I could still log into the management page of the router while experiencing the problem, then use the Ping and Traceroute functions. However, today it's been even worse, if I lose Wi-Fi connectivity, it's lost and I can't log into the management page at all. Furthermore, if I've lost Wi-Fi connectivity, my WIRED connections still work. What is going on with this router?!?
Options
gave up
2017-05-14 13:42:10

r0cketman wrote

I finally gave up on waiting for this router to stabilize and I returned it. That's two for two requiring a return. :(

I got a different router from a different brand and every problem went away. Half the price yeilded three times the speed. Thankfully I still have one day left on my 30 day return limit.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3705

Replies: 8

Related Articles