HS210 Wiring Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 Wiring Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 Wiring Issues
HS210 Wiring Issues
2020-03-02 15:13:24
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

Hello,

I am outfitting my recently purchased home with Kasa smart switches because I installed them in my previous home and loved the functionality. I have installed them in most of my desired locations, but am having an issue with one set of three-way switches. The "dumb" switches work as intended, but when I wire up the HS210 in the same manner, it does not function properly. When installed, the HS210 only receives power when the other dumb switch is switched one way. When the HS210 is powered, the lights switch on then off very quickly, and the switch appears to power cycle or restart. I have tried to place the HS210 in each location, and the same problem persists.

I have attached pictures of the "dumb" switches as currently configured, as well as a diagram if the pictures are not clear. Can anyone offer some advice?

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS210 Wiring Issues
2020-03-02 16:34:20

@Kevin_R 

You are having trouble because there is not a neutral in your wiring.

The two whites in the first photo is a pass through of the white common/line in the second photo

Options
2020-03-03 20:06:45

@B.Will Thank you for the input. Is there any way I can rewire the sitches to make the HS210 work?

Options
2020-03-03 20:50:06

@Kevin_R 

Sorry no.

I can see in the first picture that there are 2 grounds, that tells me there is not a third cable with a neutral.

Options
2020-11-10 18:16:39 - last edited 2020-11-11 02:08:44

@Kevin_R 

I ran into the same problem as you yesterday, and looks like our wiring should be the same and just like this in the below diagram.

In my case, luckily, the 3 wire cable between 2 switchs in the above diagram is running close by the Light Fixture, and I can cut it, and recabling it to the diagram below. 

(I also need to connect the To Panel (power Source) to the 2-wire cable from the above diagram, so that, the power source go the switch first.) 

and replaced the switch on the left side above to a HS210,

Then it works perfectly.

option 2 is you can find a power source close by the switch on the right hand sided in the below diagram, or run a new 2-wire cable from the penal to that switch.

and removed the cable (or install a outlet on the ceiling or in the attic) from the penal in the below diagram

Then you can turn your wiring as below.

and replacing the switch on the left hand side in the above diagram with a HS210, that should works too.

In Summary,
When Power source run to the light fixture first, then HS210 will never work.

Credit to: http://www.electrical101.com/3way-switch-wiring-using-nm-cable.html

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2401

Replies: 4

Related Articles