HS210 wiring problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 wiring problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 wiring problem
HS210 wiring problem
2019-02-22 15:30:07
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have the following configuration in my garage.

3 gang box with duplex outlet, 2 pole light switch, and a 3 way light switch.

The duplex outlet and 2 pole switch are on one circuit breaker with a GFCI outlet in this circuit.

The old 3 way is on a separate breaker.

I put the HS210 in place of the old 3 way switch. But I had a problem when bundling the HS210 white neutral in place of the old 3 way white neutral that was in the box. When I connect the neutral from the HS210 to the same neutral bundle of the old 3 way the GFCI tripped.

So I tried to connect the HS210 neutral to the neutral bundle of the duplex outlet and 2 pole switch. (can the neutral from another circuit work?) This seemed to work.

The duplex had power. The 2 pole switch work to control a set of lights. The HS210 had power indicated on the front of switch.

So I went through the setup procedure with the app. During the setup I tried to manually turn on the HS210 to see if the lights worked. No success. I thought it might just be due to the HS210 not being "setup" yet. (Will the HS210 turn circuit on/off before going through the setup procedure?)

The setup seemed to work. I bypassed the setup of the second switch. (I am planning on using the second HS210 in a different place in the house.)

But the HS210 does not power on the lights either manually or using the app.

When using the app to power on the lights the indicator circle turns power on (green) for 10 seconds and then back to power off (gray) indication.

The second 3 way switch on this light circuit is a traditional 3 way switch located in the house.

Now it does not work either.

I believe the old 3 way switch was the first on in the 3 way circuit. It is closest to the breaker box.

Bottom line of problems:

(1) GFCI outlet trips when the HS210 neutral is connected to the neutral bundle of the old 3 way switch.

(2) When the HS210 neutral is connected to the neutral bundle of the other circuit in the 3 gang box the HS210 gives indications of working but doesnt control lights.

(3) Can the neutral of another circuit be used in place of the neutral of the old 3 way circuit?

(4) Will the switch manually power circuit on/off before being "setup"?

Thanks for any help I can get

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 wiring problem
2019-02-25 18:14:18

@SDFrey 

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. GFCI outlet trips when the HS210 neutral is connected to the neutral bundle of the old 3 way switch.

It is likely that the white line is not neutral line but rather ground line. The wiring needs to be verified again.

2. When the HS210 neutral is connected to the neutral bundle of the other circuit in the 3 gang box the HS210 gives indications
of working but doesnt control lights.

Please double check the wiring. This situation is most likely caused by that.

3. Can the neutral of another circuit be used in place of the neutral of the old 3 way circuit?

Theoretically, yes. Please check whether the neutral line of the another circuit is connected to the protector.

4. Will the switch manually power circuit on/off before being "setup"?

Yes. It can work physically without the setup on Kasa app.

Options
Re:HS210 wiring problem
2021-05-14 06:14:36

Frequent electrical surges, Sags, and dips in power..

Working love spell

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4243

Replies: 2

Related Articles