KL110 Smart Bulb turns on after power outages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-08 21:11:33
Model: KL110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.11

I recently replaced all my Phillips Hue Smart Bulbs because they kept coming on after a power outage. Phillips said they fixed that bug and you could update the bulb firmware from the app. I originally configured them using my Amazon Echo Show 2 because it has a built-in hub, but I cannot use the Phillips Hue smartphone app because I don't have the Philips Hub.

I have been using TP Link Smart plugs and switches because they do not require a hub. I use smart bulbs in all fixtures that are not controlled by a wall switch. I replaced my Phillip Hue bulbs with TP Link KL110 bulbs. I lost power today and when it came back on all my TP-Link bulbs turned on. This is very annoying and the reason I replaced the Phillips Hue bulbs. If it happens at night, it wakes everybody up and someone needs to walk around the house to turn off the lights or wake up the person with the app on their phone. My TP Link wall switches, and plugs do not behave this way and I found the Kasa App has a last "ON" state feature during my research. Therefore, I bought the bulbs. If I knew this was going to happen, I never would have purchased the bulbs.

The reason for a Smart bulb is so you control it from a smartphone app or voice control. To do this power needs to be supplied to the smart bulb all the time. There is a feature in the Kasa App to return to the last "ON" state when power is restored. Some have suggested to changing it to 1% brightness, but that is still too bright. There needs to be that last "Known" state or last "OFF" state added to the app.

I'm ready to box then up and return them. Hopefully, someone from TP Link can answer the following question before I do:

1.  Will there be a bug fix issued soon to correct the issue?
Options
9 Reply
Re:KL110 Smart Bulb turns on after power outages
2020-07-08 22:36:35

@HellBent 

If you go into the device settings you should be able to set how you want to bulb to react when power is restored.

Options
2020-09-16 14:57:05

@Tony That doesn't work. It asks for level of on. Not the ability to turn it off.

Options
2020-10-15 22:28:09
Same problem, last state is always "ON", I have been waiting for 2 years and it looks like there is no fix, I really like TP Link products but is time to try another brand.
Options
2020-10-27 22:35:21

@Gmo_Mack 

looks like the best you can do is to add a preset at 1% and use that as ta pre set as on from power source.

if you could set 0% as a pre set that should also work, but you can only go down to 1%

Options
2020-12-06 19:29:25 - last edited 2020-12-06 19:31:32

@Tony can you please help here? You replied, but it does not answer the question. 

Yours is the first smart product I purchased after seeing rave reviews. I have frequent power interruptions where I live. I assumed a "smart" bulb like the KL 110 surely had the capability of returning to the last power state it was in when power is restored.

I have a bulb in my chicken coop and I need it to stay off at night when the chickens are sleeping. If there's a brief power interruption, I cannot have it come on—it messes up their schedule. Are you saying it has to come on to at least 1% power because that's the lowest choice we have? 

This sounds like a very basic update. Why would someone want a different power status in their device just because the power flickered? The default state should be "maintain schedule." I mean, even old fashioned lamp timers perform perfectly when there are brief power interruptions. 

Options
2020-12-06 22:33:12

@Chicken_Man It is this way because many lights are on a switched fixture.

If the program has the light off, and you walk into the room you want to turn the light on, so you flip the switch off and on and the light is on, just like a power outage.

Options
2021-02-10 14:53:44

@B.Will We get that a bulb controlled from a wall switch needs to switch on and off. For that use-case I opted for Smart Switches vs. Smart Bulbs. The fixtures I have Smart Bulbs in do not have a wall switch that controls them. We need the ability to configure the bulb for either situation.

Options
2021-02-10 23:37:40

@HellBent 

Doing this setup will keep the smart devices off should the power go off and back on: https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/stories/detail/1704

Options
2021-07-19 17:50:12

@Tony the solution you proposed doesn't seem to be a viable workaround. If I understand correctly, you propose we connect a Samsung App to Kasa in order to automate turning off our lights after they come on following a power outage. Is that correct? If so, that doesn't seem like it'll work for a number of reasons:

• I'm not going to maintain an automation with another manufacturer's interface...unless there's no other option. Please add this as an option in the bulb settings!
  • This seems to turn off lights after they turn on following a power outage. Seems like that would still turn on the lights first. This often happens in the middle of the night when power is restored. I don't want all my lights to come on at all when power is restored.
  • This automation turns lights off after they turn on during specified hours/days? I can't schedule power outages and I only want lights to stay off when they receive power externally (after a power outage) - not under any other circumstances.

Please include an option in the Kasa app UI to select "Off" or "Do Not Turn On" under "On from Power Source". Let me know if I'm missing something about your proposed solution. It doesn't seem like it'll work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 5564

Replies: 9