WiFi button on back of router doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 21:55:43
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 3.16.9

Pressing the WiFi button at the rear of the router does nothing - it turns WiFI neither on nor off.  The state can be changed only via a browser.  On the other hand, the WiFI LED at the front of the router is always on, whether or not wifi is on.

Is this a hardware problem or is there some other explanation?

Options
5 Reply
Re:WiFi button on back of router doesn't work
2020-09-29 12:05:25
The button on the back of the router is a WPS/Rest button. not a WIFI button. If you press and hold the button, it will reset the router to Factory. The WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) is used for setting up devices that support that feature. See https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/tl-wr841n_v14/chapter-1-get-to-know-about-your-router#ug-sub-title-2
Options
2020-09-29 16:32:06
Options
2020-09-29 18:29:53
Interesting that the newer version of that model does not show the WIFI on/off button in the user guide. If it were me, I would not worry about the button not working because it can be otherwise controlled. If you were shutting it off because of other household members, the on-line is more secure.
Options
2020-09-29 20:55:41

@coffent 

If you switch the Wi-Fi off, then the LED should turn off (icon with waves). If it remains on then the LED may be bad. You could try to do a factory reset to see if it responds such as all the LED lights turning on then off. 

The manual doesn't mention it but usually, you would need to hold the Wi-Fi button for 2 to 5 seconds. 

Options
2020-09-30 19:23:21

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've concluded that both the WiFi button and the WiFi LED are in fact not working, likely due to a hardware problem.  But since the WiFi itself is working I'm not going to pursue the problem any further.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2765

Replies: 5

Related Articles