Archer AX6000: Strange message received by Email from TP-Link Cloud

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-06 08:35:30 - last edited 2020-10-06 08:37:05

I just received an email message from TP-Link Cloud (noreply@tp-link.com) with the following message:

"UNKNOWN has joined the Archer AX6000's network."

Anybody knows what this is about? Maybe I forgot some settings I made before on the router. But I can't seem to remember anything except adding auto mail message every 24 hours for the System Logs. But last time I did that, it did not work out and got rejected by Google SMTP so I disabled it. There was nothing in the System Logs about this message too,

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000: Strange message received by Email from TP-Link Cloud
2020-10-06 11:50:33
That is strange... I would check the Access Control settings and the firewall settings. If you did not attach a new device at about the time of the email, I would also check the MACs of all the attached devices to ensure there is not an unidentified device attached as I would be worried it may be a hacker. I would also change the SSIDs' passwords and the router's password.
Options
2020-10-06 12:35:26

@ArcherC8 I couldn't find any new MAC Addresses in the Access Control so far. I was testing these Tapo smart plugs which were already previously added in the Router at the time period I received the email message. The SMTP server used was amazonses.com so I guess it is officially from tp-link.com site if its using Amazon as the web host? I just don't understand why I received that message. 

Options
2020-10-06 13:31:29 - last edited 2020-10-06 13:36:14

Is TP-link partnered with Xinnet.com? I'm asking because I received a Reset Password email message that has a button containing a link going to a page in tplinkcloud.com. I searched who owned that domain name and most data is redacted for privacy plus the Reseller data is also blank. This is unlike the available info for tp-link.com domain name which shows "TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO.LTD." as the Reseller.

Asking because I was not able to log in into my router recently even when I used the correct password that I copy-pasted from my records. So I tried the Forgot Password feature of the Router to reset it and that is when I received that Reset Password email messages. I've reset the password twice now after restarting the Modem and Router. See image below for more info...

Options
2020-10-06 17:42:02
I do not know. This is an example of why I do not like cloud based controls. I am never sure who has control. Maybe one of the TP Link staff can answer.
Options
2020-10-06 17:42:54

@RendCycle 

Hi Rend.  Yes we do use Amazon AWS for our cloud servers, at least here in the US and as far as I am aware.  I do not know if that same in the Philipines though.  What I would suggest is sending an email to your local support team  support.PH@tp-link.com and provide them this same information as this particular community is for US customers we would not be the best resource for information.  

Also besides the Access Control list you can also check your client list in the DHCP settings and see if there are any devices you do not know.  

Options
2020-10-06 18:53:25

Thanks @Carl for the recommendation. I've just sent them an email. I also found no new devices under the DHCP Server section. The last devices I added therein were the Tapo smart plugs. Anyhow, I hope the local tech support guys can provide some info on this. Appreciate the help ArcherC8, thanks as well.

Options
2020-10-07 05:00:47 - last edited 2020-10-07 06:57:10

It's sad to find out there is no Multi-factor or even just 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) for the TP-Link accounts. I just realized, the Router, Smart Plugs, and this TP-Link.com site uses a shared single login access information. One successfull intrusion and it's all over. Why oh why? 

Options
2020-10-07 16:36:49

@RendCycle 

Its been discussed and we have suggested 2-factor authenitication.  Do me a favor start a thread and request that here:  https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/231 If a thread is started and it gets enough traction I have more "ammo" to get it to sooner than later. 

Options
2020-10-08 10:55:34

@Carl Just posted this. I hope it will help fast-track the implementation of the 2FA feature.

Options
2020-10-08 15:53:23

@RendCycle 

thank you that will help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2690

Replies: 11