extend network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

extend network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
extend network
extend network
2020-11-04 19:23:11
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have currently have an Archer AX3000 for my home network. I need to expand this network a little. I have an AC1900 that I am not currently using. Can I use the AC1900 to expand the network safely?

Options
4 Reply
Re:extend network
2020-11-05 22:48:50

@bc320 

Yes by using the WDS feature of the AC1900 router.  However WDS is very finiky and you might be better off just pruchasing a simple extender like the RE220. 

Options
2020-11-06 13:30:47
I agree with Carl as I had to extend my network and I used the RE220 which has been trouble free. The main thing with extenders is the placement. Place it as close to the router as you can and still get the coverage to the area you need it. Yes, you can connect multiple routers but as the posts have indicated, some do not play well together and is a whole lot more complex setup. I like things simple. Moving a router just a few feet, raise or lower, turn in different direction, and adjusting antennas if any can make a big difference in coverage.
Options
2020-11-06 14:06:10 - last edited 2020-11-06 14:36:30

Dumb question about extending a network then. If I buy a RE220 as has been suggested, I assume anything attached to that will be slightly slowed down. I am assuming that it will take a little longer for information to move from a device, to the RE220, be processed, sent to the the regular router, then sent on it's merry way into the ether.  How can I make sure the things I want attached to the regular router stay attached to that but others are ok being attached to the extended router. 

I only want to connect a few things, like wifi cameras to the extended network. 

Options
2020-11-06 21:17:37
You use a different SSID on the extender is how you control which devices can connect to it. By default it has -EXT added to your SSID of your router as its SSID. Yes, a device connected to an extender does run slower than when connected direct to the router (contrary to some adds you see). There are several ways to set it up where you can do a bit of optimizing such as use 5 Ghz to talk between the router and the extender and the 2.4 Ghz to talk between the extender and the devices. Of course the best of all worlds would be to get a Mesh system which I will probably do when I upgrade.
Options