Wifi device client name doesn't stick

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 07:04:57 - last edited 2020-11-05 07:06:55
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel.78773(5553)

Under Basic > Wired Clients, I click on the "edit" icon to edit a device name, but after a few seconds, it changes back to whatever it was. How can I make the name stick?

The device is an old desktop and it had Ubuntu on it before, but now, it's installed with True NAS Core.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wifi device client name doesn't stick
2020-11-05 13:16:17
Be sure to page down and look for a 'save' button. Also try to change it in the advanced section if your interface has one.
Options
2020-11-05 20:18:25

@WRayX 

Ultimately the best way is to edit the device name on the device itself.  This name is handed to the router during the handshake process.  Where as the name change on the router is more or less a nickname and can be dificult to stick.  Especially if the device leaves the network or switches bands.

Options
2020-11-07 00:30:20

@ArcherC8 

In this specific router web UI, there's no Save button at where I edit the device name.

At Advanced > Network > DHCP Server > Address Reservation, i already put in the new device name in the "Description", but it's not making a difference.

Options
2020-11-07 00:33:20

@Carl 

That make sense to change the name at the device itself. I'm new to TrueNAS but I have changed the "host" name on everywhere I can see. Also TrueNAS is not really an OS like Ubuntu or Windows, it's like a NAS OS but installed on a desktop. I think if I do a Factory Restore on the router, it may start to pick up the new host name from TrueNAS.

Options
2020-11-09 19:06:46

@WRayX 

The OS doesn't really matter in that regard, or at least it shouldn't. The Handshake include the name of the device on itself for example the device name given iPad.  This is exchanged during as I handshake when the device introduces itself and asked for an IP.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 562

Replies: 5

Related Articles