Two 14/2 Romex Wires in the box. Help Please!!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-18 01:28:36
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

I am trying to replace a light switch in my bedroom.  Home was built in the late 80s. When I opened up the electrical box behind the switch I discovered TWO 14/3 romex wires coming into the box from the top.  There are also three sets of wires leaving the box through the bottom. I assume these go to outlets in the room.

I've got one 14/3 wire coming from the power source and one 14/3 going up to the light, giving me a total of 8 wires.  2 black, 2 red, 2 white, and 2 green.  I didn't think this was a three way switch.  But I'm at a loss for what to do with all these wires.  Will it work with a dimmable switch or should I use a 3 way switch?  If I use the 3-way how do I utilize all 8 wires and still leave power available for the outlets below.

Please help!  Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Two 14/2 Romex Wires in the box. Help Please!!!
2020-11-18 17:41:10

@BonnieAtlanta 

I am thinking it may be a duplex outlet rather than a light switch?

A three-way outlet should have two switches that control the light.

I would probably consult an electrician if possible.

Options
Re:Two 14/2 Romex Wires in the box. Help Please!!!
2020-11-18 20:48:26

@Tony 

Thank you so much for the response!!! Actually before I tried to install the smart switch I had a typical single pole switch attached and it operated the overhead lights perfectly.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before I detached the old switch and now I can't seem to get the wifi switch to work at all.

So all of the necessary wires to have a successful and safe light are there.  I just need to know how to connect it all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 837

Replies: 2