HS220 Dimmer - Slight Delay with Physical Single Press

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 01:34:42 - last edited 2021-11-09 09:21:38
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Just installed a new HS220 Dimmer (v2) on firmware 1.0.3.  LED bulbs in bathroom vanity fixture.

I noticed that when I press the physical button on the switch to turn the light on, there can be anywhere from a 0.5 to 2 second delay before the light comes on.  When turning off the light, the delay is usually 0.5 to 1 second.  It seems like if the light is turned on immediately after turning it off, it turns on quicker, and if the light has been off for a while, i.e. overnight, it takes longer.

This is not the light "fading" on, I have both the "Fade On" and "Fade Off" settings set to "Instant".

Also, if I set the "Double Tap" feature to "Instant On/Off" the light turns on and off instantly when double-tapping the physical switch, so it doesn't appear to be physically incapable of turning on or off instantly.

Is this normal behavior?  I have about 12 other dimmers and switches I just bought to replace a bunch of Wemo dimmers and switches and want to know if this is expected behavior before I decide to do all that work or maybe return these.

I contacted support through live chat online and this was the response.  :-/

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 Dimmer - Slight Delay with Physical Single Press-Solution
2021-11-09 09:20:55 - last edited 2021-11-09 09:25:25

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback and advice in regard to HS220 dimmer switch slight delay when being turned on, we appreciate your patience while our team working with this concern,  we update the workaround and solution in the below thread.
https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/243238?replyId=1014656

Feel free to add any further comment or feedback there directly, thank you

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:HS220 Dimmer - Slight Delay with Physical Single Press
2020-12-04 22:43:13

For anyone who stumbles across this post:

I replaced the dimmer with the same model, but different hardware version:

Old - Hardware version 2.0

New - Hardware version 1.8 (in the app it shows up and Hardware version 1)

The Hardware version 1 switch turns on reliably all the time compared to Hardware version 2.  With the version 2, the delay was random and could be anywhere from 0.5 seconds to a full 2 seconds (maybe longer) which feels like an eternity when you're walking into a windowless bathroom at night.  The version 1 dimmer turns on reliably with only a 0.5 second delay all the time.

Not to mention the hardware version 1 physical switch button feels more solid and tactile when you press it compared to the version 2, which felt mushy and squeaked every time i pressed it.  It appears the reason these have droppd in price and are on sale lately with such low prices is that they have a different manufacturing process to cut costs (and thus cut corners).

I have installed 3 version 1 dimmers and all seem to be solid, turn on quick, and feel nice to press.  Of all the version 2 dimmers i got, at least half of them have mushy and squeaky physical buttons.  Not sure if I should continue to replace all my switches or go a different route...

Options
2021-01-31 15:54:53
I have the same issue, very annoying. I installed 2 dimmers so far and don't see an update. I think I'll cut my losses and go with a different manufacture.
Options
2021-02-05 08:26:17 - last edited 2021-02-05 08:27:00

@pchoi94 Where did you find v1.8? I bought mine off Amazon and they are v2. Honestly, I'm very disappointed talking to kasa support so far, they are still completely unaware of this delayed start issue. I've upgraded to firmware 1.0.5, makes no difference. Will a human being on that product team give their own dimmer switch a try already? It's so annoying, I'm thinking about just returning back to Amazon. Not sure if it's intended but the delayed start is either poor design or defective. The old folks in my house can't figure out how to use the switch properly because they get confused by the delayed start! 

Options
2021-02-06 16:05:37
I got mine off Amazon, maybe it was just some old stock someone had laying around? However after having used all the different versions for a while now, they all have a delay...
Options
2021-02-06 17:02:40

@pchoi94 thanks, I guess they're all flawed. I'm so disappointed with how the dimmer switch behaves. I'm even more disappointed that their product team doesn't even let their support team know about this issue. After 2 replies from the support team, they have ceased communication. I own 12 single pole,  2 3-way, and 3 single pole dimmers.  I was anxiously awaiting their new 3-way dimmers and sensor dimmers, but now I'm having second thoughts about owning Kasa in general. 

Options
2021-02-12 02:51:11

@pchoi94 I was reading another thread about this an it seems to be a designed that way.  They say the delay is needed to sense if it was a double click feature.  Is the double click feature not available on the older versions?

Options
2021-02-12 03:04:37

@KobeT Double click feature is pretty useless 99.9% of the time. While the idea sounds interesting, it is obviously a design flaw for them not allow users to turn off this feature. 

Options
2021-02-12 03:21:59
I don't have the dimmer switch yet, I was researching problems that people might have. Maybe they need to change the implementation. As an ex programmer I see the need for the delay to detect the double click.
Options
2021-02-12 03:33:57

@KobeT I agree that delay is necessary for double click. As a designer, i believe it's a mistake to think all customers will like this gimmicky feature. I actually really like their single pole switches but I'm so disappointed to have a dimmer installed next to a single pole and they work like they're made from 2 different companies. 

Options
2021-10-26 15:04:38

@dark9t316 I know I'm 8 months late, but throwing my support here in the hopes this is fixed at some point. We have the same situation. YOu can hit both switches at the exact same time, and the lights turn on/off 2+ seconds apart. It's obnoxious...

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2768

Replies: 13