Smart switches not connecting to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-20 17:54:46 - last edited 2020-12-21 19:32:33

I have 6 switches, 1 dimmer, 4 plugs and 1 camera all connected to my ASUS 1200ac router, the router is connected to a TP-Link range extender through the LAN jack and the range extender is connected to either my wife or my phones hotspot.

My wife and I used to have Sprint cell service and everything worked as it should with no issues. I had to swap my SIM card and they gave me a T-Mobile SIM. Thats when the issues started to happen.

When using the hotspot from my wifes phone everything works as it should but when I turn my hotspot on all my smart devices go into local only mode. As mentioned the ony thing that changed was the service provider and nothing else.

All of my other devices can connect to the internet without problems while using my phones hotspot.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so is there a solution? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Smart switches not connecting to internet
2020-12-29 18:32:29

@Pbaker 

So you are using the hotspot as the internet source connected to the Range Extender and then the Rotuer as an AP to the Range Extender?  Is that correct?  If so lkely the issue is going to be the ammount of devices connected to the hotspot, which is further impacted by the half duplex nature of the Range Extender.  

Options
2020-12-29 21:24:23

@Carl 

Yes my Hotspot is the internet source. The range extender connects to that and I use a cat 5 cable to a router that is the AP to all of my devices.

This setup worked great when I had a sprint sim in my phone and still works great with my wife's phone.

Now that I have a T-mobile sim everything but my switches, plugs and camera work online.

The router was put in place to bypass the 8 device limitation on the mobile Hotspot.

My phone only sees the range extender and router and doesn't see all the devices connected to the router.

Options
2020-12-30 16:08:06
Options
2020-12-30 16:38:33

@DBF 

Yes I use a router to connect all my devices to and it allows me to block things from the internet such as my cameras so they are only viewable on the LAN.

I also live in a rural area and a cellphone Hotspot or satellite internet is the only option for internet. Yep you read that correctly there are places in the USA that does not have internet. 

So I connect the router to the range extender as I haven't figured out how to connect the router to the phones hotspot directly.

Options
2020-12-30 17:37:08

@Pbaker 

The likelyness of this setup having issues is high.  This is because Cellphone hotspots aren't designed to have mulitple devices connecting at a time.  On top of that a range extender will reduce recieved speed up to 50% then you have the router communicating with the majority of the client devices directly and relaying that through the ethernet connect to the range extender.  its a very unique setup and one that will not be with out problems.  I would recommend by starting to remove the extender.  On the router look for one of two features.  1.  Opperation mode for Range Extender or WDS bridging.  Both features will have the router act as the range extender.  While the speed issue will still be there you will remove 1 link in the chain and help mitgiate the latency and potental issues.  This is probably the only advice we can give in a situation like this.    I can understand the issues of living in Rural America.  My mother lives in a rural part of Roy WA where Satalite is the only internet choice and I have had to tell her to limit her device activty to one device at a time because of it.  The real fix is when the infrastructure finally makes it to you and you then finally have high speed access. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 602

Replies: 5

Related Articles