TP-Link devices and Matter compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-20 21:50:04

Will TP-Link be firmware updarting their smart lighting switches and plugs to be compatible with Matter?

https://buildwithmatter.com/

https://csa-iot.org/

Options
16 Reply
Re:TP-Link devices and Matter compatibility
2021-06-06 11:29:41

@TEHK I was wondering this too, haven't found any official statement yet.

In my country most of the products available at large stores are Tapo though, and there's still no European Kasa wall switch. Maybe they're just waiting to launch new Matter compatible products.

Options
2021-10-04 18:49:29
I am trying to figure this out as well, they don't seem to be part of the Alliance. It is weird that they wouldn't join.
Options
2021-11-05 19:44:07

I am not buying another smart home device until I start to see who will support matter. We have a few Kasa devices and will not be buying any more until we know what kind of long term Matter support they will have

Options
2021-12-01 20:50:21 - last edited 2021-12-01 20:52:02

@TEHK My guess is we do nothing and Kasa does nothing but some kind of Matter hub will be sold (maybe by various companies now) which integrates all our Alexa, HomeKit, etc. devices in some way. A kind of a hub translator to Matter. Future devices will be Matter ready with no need for the hub but the hub will buy us a few more years with our “older” devices. Which drives me bananas since no plug I have is older than 5 years and most less than 3.
An additional hope is that Amazon will simply transform/update its Echos with Zigbee hubs into Matter hubs in 2022. As will other players with updatable hubs.

Options
2021-12-02 07:08:55 - last edited 2022-10-17 07:14:52

Updated:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for being interested in the Matter  with TP-Link smart device devices. 

The Matter protocol is so far in the planned stage,for what models will be supported, we always recommended keeping eye for the updated information in Matter introduction page below. 

https://www.tp-link.com/technology/matter/

Here are some auricles about Matter that you be interested in: 

Matter: A Step Forward in Smart Homes

https://www.tp-link.com/en/blog/1141/what-exactly-is-matter-/

Options
2021-12-02 15:02:33

@Solla-topee But what about a hub? The hub would get and send data via wi-fi to Kasa plugs. But translate from and to the Matter universe. People have already written code that does this. (and that is all I know about that - but would pay for a hub versus having to replace all my Kasa plugs).
The tp-leadership is not thinking this through at all!

Options
2021-12-02 17:39:25

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply on this. From the wording of the post its not clear that you have an understanding of what the Matter standard entails. Essentially from my understanding this is a standard that manufacturers subscribe and adhere to. The standards group that created the Matter standard just publishes the specs.

Anyway, if there are no plans for TP-Link to make Matter compliant devices OR make current WiFi devices compatable with Matter, I can't invest any more in this company's hardware. Not trying to be mean about it, just frank. There is no sense in sinking money with a vendor that has no official plans to comply with what will be the industry-wide standard within the next 12 months.

Options
2021-12-02 20:44:25

@TyLee Matter = French, tp-link = Hungarian
A hub would translate French to Hungarian and Hungarian to French. It would be an intermediary between the systems, allowing control of non Matter stuff. Of course, Matter would not make them! tp-link could or, some other company. Like I said, some have made them already. I guess using a Strawberry Pi. I'd want off the shelf.

Options
2022-05-12 13:12:18

Maybe TP-Link will add Matter support during 2022. As per Google's Matter Update during Google IO check it out: https://youtu.be/z52p5fT1ihA 

Hope this helps

Options
2022-05-12 13:25:38

@LukeM, Thanks for that! I did a quick scan of the video and TP-Link is referenced as a partner Google has been working with on Matter support 

a9fe08d0cda548dba458c8cc07bf58e1

I am still going to wait and see what happens with our current devices to see if they can or will be upgraded to work with matter.

Options

Information

Helpful: 19

Views: 20292

Replies: 16