Kasa Smart Plugs 802.11ax mode capability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-01 20:25:34
Model: HS105-KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I bought new access point that are 802.11ax capable.  I setup the new access points with the same SSID as the old so everything would connect back up.  I had intermittant problems with all of my Kasa Smart switches plugs.  Slow to respond, sometime would not respond, Alexa would say they are not responding, etc.  I tried defaulting and re-adding the switches without any change.  I turned off 802.11ax/WIFI6 mode and they seem to be working better.  Are Kasa Switches/plugs compatible with 802.11ax?  I thought it was backwards compatible?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Plugs 802.11ax mode capability
2021-11-03 03:19:35

Hello @tmorris1 
Wi-Fi 6 is backward compatible with previous 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi standards, and kasa device supports 802.11b/g/n protocol (some supports 802.11ac), thus smart devices should work with a Wi-Fi 6 AP/Router.  One thing to note that not all the kasa devices supports WPA3, if router uses WPA3,  Kasa might have some trouble connecting to WiFi.

As for the instability problem, 1>  it is suggested to ensure kasa devices get strong signal: 

If router and AP/ extender use the same SSID,  device may roam to a different AP when signal gets weak or unstable: 

( -40~-50dBm very good signal; -50 ~-70dBm good to average;  less than -70dBm: weak signal,  connection may drop and need to locate kasa devices closer to router to ensure performance) 

2> you could use a different SSID and a different 2.4Ghz channel for Wifi6 AP and see if that help with stability. 

If the concern persists,  May I know the model of router, and the Wi-Fi 6 AP, are they a mesh system?

With WiFi6 disabled, does smart device work stable as before? How about the WiFi led status on smart device when issue happens, does it go red or stay green? 

Options
Re:Kasa Smart Plugs 802.11ax mode capability
2021-11-04 15:20:59

@Solla-topee 

Access points are Asus RT-AX55.  I have tried disabling WIFI 6 mode and it doesn't matter.  They all have solid connections between 35 and 50dBm.  Firmware is all up to date as far as the Kasa App says and all switches have static DHCP reservation in the router so they always have the same IP address..  Some will just show Local Only on the app when I open it and after 30 seconds or so I it will go away.  Some switches always show Local Only for minutes and sometimes longer.  I am guess this is my Alexa is hit and miss as well.  Never had a problem for years and now this started.  I have tried defaulting the switches and re-adding them to my account and it worlks for a while and then same thing.

The WIFI light on the switch is solid so they are not losing the WIFI connection.  Internet is solid with no drop outs both wired or wireless on any other device.  The switches seem to not be able to reliably connect to the cloud service.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1640

Replies: 2