All KASA cameras have stopped recording to SD card! EC70, KC105 all worked well until recently.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

All KASA cameras have stopped recording to SD card! EC70, KC105 all worked well until recently.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-08 23:41:03
Model: EC70  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3.11

I have 3 EC70 and 3 KC105 cameras that all worked flawlessly until recently. Suddenly, they all stopped recording to SD cards. I realized that they had stopped recording when I tried to play back what should have been recorded. Then I noticed that local recording was switched off, so I tried to turn it back on again, and received a message saying "No SD card detected..."

I pulled the SD cards and reinserted them several times as instructed by th very lame diagnostics support KB. Nothing changed. The cameras would no longer see the SD cards.

I plugged the SD cards into a PC and can read the recordings, but they of course all had stopped several weeks earlier. All of the SD cards were full.

I tried reformatting the cards but was unable to do so, even after installin g specific SD card formatting software from the SD SIG. The existing recordings cannot be erased from any of the SD cards.

I inserted a new SD card into one camera and it started recording normally, and I was initially able to record and play back normally. Now the app shows no recordings, even though it is set for 24/7 recording.

Since this has happened across several cameras, using different SD cards (Samsung & SanDisk) I suspect that a firmware change was pushed to the cameras, disabling the local recording function. I'm, starting to suspect that this may be intentional, as an attempt to force users to switch to paid Cloud recording. 

Has anyone here experienced this issue? Any resolution? What does TP-Link have to say? Either this gets fixed or I will report it to Amazon and return all of the cameras.

Thanks all!

Options
1 Reply
Re:All KASA cameras have stopped recording to SD card! EC70, KC105 all worked well until recently.
2022-02-09 12:10:36 - last edited 2022-02-09 12:11:25

Hello @Costaxl 

Thank you for your detailed post with SD card concern We have an instruction that helps with troubleshoot SD card problem, kindly give it a try and let us know if it helps: What should I do if the SD card doesn’t work properly on my camera?

1. Confirm SD card capacity is supported by camera: Which microSD cards are supported on Tapo and Kasa Cameras? 

2. Please verify if SD card is Fake (expanded capacity) with H2testw software and share a photo here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2592/
NOTE: back up important files before run the test

3. Confirm Kasa APP and tapo device firmware are both up- to -date

If the concern still exists despite the above steps, can  you help confirm some case details here: 

1.  Brand & capacity of the SD you've trid

2.  a photo of the error if format on kasa APP failed 

3.  a photo of SD card

4.  a photo of H2testw test result 
5.  Kasa  APP version ( APP-> Me-> About)

Thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 2180

Replies: 1