Multiple WiFi Connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-11 22:49:34 - last edited 2022-03-14 07:19:13
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

I need to have TP-Link KASA smart plugs connected to two different WiFi networks.

•  Can I do this by
    • Connecting the smartphone with KASA app to one WiFi network
    • Adding the first group of smart plugs, then
    • Connecting the smartphone with KASA app to the second WiFi network
    • Adding the second group of smart plugs

• Or, do I have to have the KASA app on two entirely separate smartphones?
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple WiFi Connections-Solution
2022-03-12 00:33:27 - last edited 2022-03-14 07:19:13

The question is resolved.  Yes, the Orbi app can support devices which have been joined to different WiFi networks.  Because the primary link to devices is through the KASA "cloud", it does not matter which WiFi network the smartphone is on at any particular time.  It can control devices connected to multiple WiFi networks, perhaps at multiple physical locations.

My preliminary tests indicate that the KASA app will connect to devices even if there is no internet access.  (As long as they are all on the same WiFi network, the KASA "cloud" is not required.)  The cloud is required to control devices that are on a different network than the KASA app (duh), but it appears that internet access is optional when everything is on the same network.

TP-Link Rules!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple WiFi Connections-Solution
2022-03-12 00:33:27 - last edited 2022-03-14 07:19:13

The question is resolved.  Yes, the Orbi app can support devices which have been joined to different WiFi networks.  Because the primary link to devices is through the KASA "cloud", it does not matter which WiFi network the smartphone is on at any particular time.  It can control devices connected to multiple WiFi networks, perhaps at multiple physical locations.

My preliminary tests indicate that the KASA app will connect to devices even if there is no internet access.  (As long as they are all on the same WiFi network, the KASA "cloud" is not required.)  The cloud is required to control devices that are on a different network than the KASA app (duh), but it appears that internet access is optional when everything is on the same network.

TP-Link Rules!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multiple WiFi Connections
2022-03-14 07:18:28 - last edited 2022-03-14 07:19:08

@UnWired 

After setting up kasa device in the app,  devices will be bound to tp-link ID, and you could add more kasa devices in a different physical location using the same tp-link ID. 

If you wish to control devices locally (without internet access), phone need to connect to the same Wi-Fi network ,and  the kasa device under the same wifi network are accessible. 

To manage them remote on the phone, that requires internet access.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 583

Replies: 2

Related Articles