HS200 Hardware Version 5 issues with 2.4GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-19 02:47:38
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hello

I have a handful of TPLink devices on my home network, and recently bought two new HS200s, these seemingly have different wifi radios in them (assume cheaper now) as these are the only two of the TP link devices that cannot maintain a network connection at all.  They fall off the network twice in a 10 minute span, and it's ONLY the hardware version V5s that have this issue, v3 and v2s are perfectly fine on my network, as well as three way switches and smart plugs. 

What's going on here?  What can I even do, TPLInk only seems to manufacture these HS200s with unreliable wifi radios now.

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS200 Hardware Version 5 issues with 2.4GHz
2022-03-19 14:17:16

@Bytez Assuming they're flashing amber you may have hit the wifi client count for your router (depending on the router it's 20-50, not the 254 or so in the DHCP space).

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-03-19 16:24:00
Unfortunately this is not the case, my router is nowhere near the amount of clients it can connect to. This is a specific problem with a specific version of the hardware and software. I have many devices these are the only two that give me any issue at all. I keep a very close eye on things that connect to my network, these flap with the wind, in a bad way.
Options
2022-03-19 17:25:38

@Bytez Could be they have weaker wifi radios if they're a different version, or have trouble due to their location, or sometimes they may be connecting to the wrong AP if you have multiple.

You didn't mention though - what do you mean by "fall off the network"?  Are they flashing amber, showing "not available in the app", or did you check your router's wifi client status?

I'm curious how you know the number of wifi clients your router supports?  It's constrained by the chip set used by the router and is not the same as max clients.  Most router manufacturers don't publish this limit.  When the limit is hit the routers start dropping the last client to connect - with many devices it doesn't matter, they just reconnect on the next outgoing request.  Some home automation devices like switches are passive and wait for an incoming connection - they don't seem to detect they've been dropped for a while.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-03-21 03:53:33 - last edited 2022-03-21 03:57:08

Hello  @Bytez 

HS200 only support 2.4Ghz wifi band.

You could connect a HS200 to Guest Wi-Fi network and see if the issue stops.

Confirm smart device received strong signal strength ; camera settings-> Wifi router tap wifi icon to check the dBm,-40~-60 are good, -60~-70 are acceptable, less than -70dBm, try to locate router closer to smart devices

to help isolate the issue, can you help provide some information here

• model of wifi router and network topology, e.g ISP XX-- router model XX<wireless>HS200 
  • can I know the wifi Led status ON HS200 when issue happen , is it red or flashing green, if press 'Reboot' button, could HS200 recovers ?
  • what is the firmware & hardware version of router? When issue happen, please check router log and see if there is any error related to HS200 V5
  • Please share the Mac of the smart device with issue to us via private message, thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 4

Related Articles