New router/network question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-31 19:43:14

So I'm getting a new router and hence a new wifi network, and I was wondering whether I should remove all the existing switches from the existing network before I install the new router. But then I'd have 10+ switches looking for a new home, and it would be difficult to know which switch I was adding to the new network.

After reading a bit here, I'm guessing the solution would be to reset the switches one by one and add them to the new network. I know that the reset button is under the toggle, but is there another button there as well?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:New router/network question
2022-04-01 00:36:35

@Cyraxote 

You might be able to save a lot of network headache not just for the TP-Link/Kasa products but for other devices as well if you use the same network names and passwords as you are currently using.  A majority of devices should just connect but some may still need to be reset and reconfigured.  

Options
2022-04-01 02:43:28

@Carl 

That's an interesting idea. Do I lose anything by doing that, I wonder...?

Options
2022-04-01 16:21:51

@Cyraxote 

No you shouldn't at all.  Some devices might be bound to the MAC of the existing router in which case even if the same SSID and Password are used they will need to be reset and reconfigured but most newer device will simply look for the SSID and if they see the one they are configured for they will attempt to authenticate.  As long as the password is the same they should connect and give you the seamless transistion.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 266

Replies: 3

Related Articles