Introducing Two-Step Verification (2FA) for the Kasa App

2022-05-16 18:20:40 - last edited 2022-05-16 18:21:35

Announcing Two-Factor Authentication for Kasa Users

We have started to roll out two-factor authentication for our Kasa accounts. This means that, when enabled, a new device signing in with TP-Link ID will be asked to present a time sensitive verification code to protect your account from unauthorized access.

I have already created and published a new KB Article detailing how to Set up 2-Factor Authentication in the Kasa App. If you want to jump ahead and get registered, the instructions for sign up, if eligible, can be found here: 

Enabling Two-Step Verification on the Kasa App

As a reminder, we are slowly rolling this feature out to our users by enabling the feature on your account in waves. The menu for Two Factory Authentication can already be found in the app, and will tell you if the feature has been enabled on your account yet.

FAQ:

Will this affect other logins where I use my TP-Link ID?

• No, our Two-Factor Authentication System is designed to only affect the Kasa Application at this point in time. If you would like to see this feature expanded to other products, let us know in the comments below.

Will this completely prevent unauthorized access to my account?

• Unfortunately, there is no way of completely preventing unauthorized access to your account, on any platform. This is why we must add as many layers of security to our online accounts as possible.
  • The saying "It is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain" is especially true in this situation. For someone to log into your accounts, they must provide a verification code given by either a notification or email. It is important to consider how secure these platforms are and what other people have access to the information inside. For this reason, I recommend using two-factor authentication for any accounts that provide it as an option, such as your email account.

Fun Fact: You've been using a form of two-factor authentication your entire life and haven't even known it - Captchas - Those images are checking to see if you are a bot or not, and this is also a form of two-factor authentication that companies put into place to prevent automated attacks and to protect users alike.