Setup for Apple HomeKit Enabled Kasa Devices - EP25, KP125

Setup for Apple HomeKit Enabled Kasa Devices - EP25, KP125

29 Reply
Re:Setup for Apple HomeKit Enabled Kasa Devices - EP25, KP125
2022-09-04 00:47:58

@Riley_S 

my EP25 devices don't show up in ohmconmect. Did I add them to the Kasa app incorrectly or is there an issue with these new plugs not being supported?

Options
2022-09-06 20:47:27

@InterHmai,

Try Changing the wireless security setting on your wifi router from WPA/WPA2 Mixed to WPA2 Personal,

Users are seeing this as being a solution for having their smart switches disconnect, and I suspect that this may be similar to the disconnects for the plug

Options
2022-09-06 20:49:15

@Nhansard,

I am unfamiliar with OhmConnect and their services, so I would recommend reaching out to them to see if they have added the new devices to their application yet. If you added the devices to the kasa app correctly, you should be able to control your smart plugs from the kasa app while not connected to your home network.

Options
2022-09-06 20:52:32

@GN_2020,

If you have an android phone, you can set it your devices up using that application, and you will not be prompted for Homekit support, the device would then show up in your list of devices on your iphone. 

The homekit feature is controlled by Apple and it automatically detects when you are setting up a compatible device. Even if you have no interest in using homekit, you can still proceed through the setup and the device will be added to your Kasa account, just using the homekit setup process.

Options
2022-10-10 00:00:18

@InterHmai 

I had no issues with setup of my P125 Tapo switch.  I am using a Android phone, and it installed without a hitch, plus it is working like a charm.

Options
2022-10-19 18:49:22

@Riley_S 

Being working with TP Link support under [TP-Link Support]-[TKID220929069.

I've had the EP25 four pack for almost a month now.  Connecting to Apple Airport Extreme base station on secure 2.4GHz network.

Installed Kasa app, and reinstalled it three times in the last month. 

Had to reboot iPhone after setting up the first two and then did second two to get the device to be recognized after scanning QR code..  This pattern is repeatable.

Updated firmware to 1.0.8.

Assinged IP addresses based on MAC address on router setup.  Read this suggestion in another post.

They stayed controllable in both Apple Home app and Kasa app for 2-3 hours.  This pattern is repeatable.  One thing I did notice is running "arp -a" all four devices showed their assigned IP addresses, after they became uncreachable from Home or Kasa apps the IP address from "arp -a" would revert to 169....

Once they become unresponsive, if I cycle power to device they become responsive again and remain responsive for 2-3 hours.

Tried setting up a ping loop to a couple of the devices, became unresponsive after 2-3 hours.

Attached one of the devices to a friend's network on a new Cox cable company supplied router and it remained available in Kasa app for 24 hours.  Only available in Apple Home for 2-3 hours.

Read a couple of posts about security settings on WiFi network so I setup a Guest network on router with no seecurity and joined the devices to that network.  They remained connected in Kasa app for two days.  Not available in Home App though in the unsecured network.

Ordered an Amazon version of the smart plug and it has been rock steady for a week now.  Using it for Geofencing an appliance.  The Kasa plugs worked in Apple Home geofencing in the 2-3 hour available time frame as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Options
2022-10-19 21:13:02

@David70508,

Have you tried to change the network settings to one that the other forum threads suggested? I believe I remember some people stating that the WPA compatibility was the issue with the devices staying connected and removing WPA as an encryption option allowed some of their devices to reconnect.

You could try to disable fast roaming on your router if it is an option. This is the setting on routers that will attempt to push devices to another wifi band, and I have seen similar features cause periodic disconnects from the network. If you have a non-ios device, you could try to setup the plugs using the Kasa app, and adding to your Homekit app later. The same would go for the other types of set up available for the device, such as Google Home, Alexa, or SmartThings.

Options
2022-12-12 04:16:13

@Riley_S I can confirm there is a difference in packaged  vs singular as it related to their support and honoring their warranty. 

I had one EP25 fail, and support won't honor a replacement without me removing all four from my household, removing them from the app, and then shipping all four units back (one defective and three working).  It's a very bad user experience and would cost more to ship back than an individual unit costs.  

Options
2023-01-10 19:40:08

@Riley_S 

The four-pack EP 25's purchased six weeks ago, successfully installed without using homekit, and were functional until three days ago when they became unaccessible. Multiple device and phone reboots haven't made a difference. Three of the four continue to reside in the list of 14 total Kasa devices (all of which remain fully functional) but in grayed out text. Efforts to start over by factory reset also yields no results. No apparent way to totally remove /delete the non-functioning, grayed-out devices from the Kasa menu in order to start over. One of the four remains functional but only as switch with progaming met with "connection error".

Similar to other poster's attempts to restart the process also gives me only the home kit choice to proceed - which requires purchase of more equipment (Homepod/Apple TV). Any ideas? Must I return these to AMZ and replace with EP10's?

Options
2023-01-10 22:04:38

@Philipus,

I have had experiences with other devices that will not be recognized for setup by the application when the device already exists in the list, even greyed out; presumabley from having the same MAC address.

There should be a method of deleting the devices from the Kasa App. When the device are greyed out, you can't click into the device settings; instead, you have to long press on a device from the home screen, which will give the option to delete the device from the list.

When you first setup these devices, did you use the HomeKit setup, or did you use an Android device?

If you used the Homekit setup, you may need to try and find the devices in the Apple Home app and change them there. The two systems are very tightly intertwined and the devices will most likely be in the Homekit app until they are removed from the Kasa list of devices.

Options
Related Articles