EP10 smart plug connects to wifi but fails setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-26 12:48:51 - last edited 2022-06-26 12:50:13
Model: EP10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have 3 EP10 smart plugs and one has failed to complete setup multiple times at the last setup step. The setup process at the "Unable to Connect Your Smart Plug to Wi-Fi" despite it actually being successfully connected. I can see the device is on the network and is assigned an ip address. The physical indicator on the plug is solid orange. For some reason the app is failing to fully setup the device. 

I have tried:

1. Resetting the plug according to https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2648/ 

2. Uninstalling the app, reinstalling, and trying setup again

3. Restarting phone and re-attempting 

4. Trying to setup from another phone (iphone 12 pro max and iphone 8plus)

5. Restarting Access Point and Router

6. Changing the 2.4GHz channel (11->6->1)

I have also checked that my security settings are set to WPA2 on the 2.4GHz radio and that the channel (6) + width (20) are acceptable. As the other two are connected successfully are there any other troubleshooting steps available before I submit for a warranty replacement?

Options
3 Reply
Re:EP10 smart plug connects to wifi but fails setup
2022-06-27 01:43:12 - last edited 2022-06-27 01:43:32

@trashpanda999 

Thank you for your detailed post, if kasa devices already has a Green Led or received an IP address from Wifi router, please try some step here in 

Case4- Wi-Fi LED is solid Green or Blue

What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

1. Adjust Modem/ router Firewall settings in case that affect the smart device
  2. Check if there is any Advanced settings on router like access control/ parental control settings 
  3. Change router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4
  4. Make sure smart plug is connected to router directly, not through other AP or Range extenders

You could also try to connect smart device to a mobile hotspot wifi or Guest wifi network,  update firmware for smart device. Then factory reset plug and relink it to Wifi of router. 

If still the same, may I know the model of router and network map? Is the EP10 the same hardware version as the other working smart plugs? 

Options
2022-06-28 03:01:38 - last edited 2022-06-28 03:02:32

@Solla-topee 

1. Adjust Modem/ router Firewall settings in case that affect the smart device
    • Adjust which settings? I have tried changing to alternate channels and channel width for the 2.4GHz network with no success. This one doesn't connect but the other two respond find
  2. Check if there is any Advanced settings on router like access control/ parental control settings 
    • There are no access control or parental features enabled
  3. Change router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4
    • Changing DNS did not resolve the issue
  4. Make sure smart plug is connected to router directly, not through other AP or Range extenders
    • This is not an option, see network map.
  5. You could also try to connect smart device to a mobile hotspot wifi or Guest wifi network,  update firmware for smart device. 
    • It was not able to connect successfully to a mobile hotspot or guest network on the Router/AP
  6. If still the same, may I know the model of router and network map? 
    • Router: Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE (UDM SE) 
    • Access Point: Access Point WiFi 6 Long-Range (U6-LR-US) 
  7. Network Map:
    • Router->AP->EP10
  8. Is the EP10 the same hardware version as the other working smart plugs? 
    • Yes, they were purchased at the same time and are the same hardware version. (Version 1.0)
Options
2022-06-30 17:33:07

Hello @trashpanda999 

thank you for doing more test and providing more case details! As for now, you've done the comprehensive troubleshooting for the plug and it could be  some defect on the certain plug.  I recommended reaching retailer or our local support to check device warranty. Feel free to let us know if the replacement unit works for you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 712

Replies: 3

Related Articles