"Unable to join the network "TP-LINK_SMART Dimmer_XXXX" on iPhone 12 Max and iPhone 13 mini

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

"Unable to join the network "TP-LINK_SMART Dimmer_XXXX" on iPhone 12 Max and iPhone 13 mini

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-07 15:09:15
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Made at least 30 attempts to connect to TP-Link WiFi network during set up process on two different phones - my iPhone 13 mini and my wife's iPhone 12. I Googled several troubleshooting tips (Restart phone > Uninstall/reinstall Kasa app > Hard reset dimmer switch > Flip breaker off/on) and tried all of them on both phones and I still can't complete the setup process. Any insights would be especially helpful - thank you!

Options
2 Reply
Re:"Unable to join the network "TP-LINK_SMART Dimmer_XXXX" on iPhone 12 Max and iPhone 13 mini
2022-07-11 22:58:24

@lilbillyclinton,

When setting up the devices with an iPhone there are a few settings that could potentially cause problems with the setup process:

First, Check to make sure that your device is not connected to a VPN, this most often appears as a Key Symbol in your Notification Bar.

Second, With some devices, the use of private IP addresses can interfere with the communication between the devices. You can temporarily disable this setting in the Wi-Fi settings for your phone. 

Lastly, and most importantly, you should disable the mobile network connection on your phone. When connecting to the device, your phone may attempt to use your mobile data to communicate since the dimmer does not provide an internet connection.

Let me know if any of these settings are a fix for your issue.

Options
Re:"Unable to join the network "TP-LINK_SMART Dimmer_XXXX" on iPhone 12 Max and iPhone 13 mini
2022-07-14 13:29:10

@Riley_S Thank you for your help, Riley! Unfortunately, none of these solutions worked for me, so I decided to move on.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 340

Replies: 2