Light bulbs and Alexa “device is unresponsive”

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-01 00:20:50
Model: KL135P2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

Frequently and more recently my bulbs randomly will not work with Alexa. Alexa says the "device is unresponsive" in the app. In the kasa app the lights are working just fine. If I physically hit the switch on and  again that seems to fix the problem but defeats the purpose of having smart bulbs on routines and voice control. This is happening randomly with random bulbs through out my house. It has been more frequent lately. The app is up to date and bulbs firmware is up to date. Kasa needs to fix this bug or I'll have to change all my smart lights to a different brand :( 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Light bulbs and Alexa “device is unresponsive”
2022-08-01 03:47:50 - last edited 2022-08-16 01:23:33

Hello   @daniellew 

Please help take a photo of the error and let us know the local time when the problem occurs

• When problem occurs, can you control the device remotely (LTE or different Wifi network) from the Kasa App?  
  • Does other kasa device or smart devices like kasa plug  work fine in Alexa app at that time? 
  • Confirm Alexa APP is up to date
  • Confirm kasa APP and device firmware are up to date 

As a temporary fix, you could try to disable and enable kasa skill and reauthorize tp-link account in the Alexa app

What should I do if I cannot make my Kasa device work with Alexa or Google Home?

For 'If I physically hit the switch on and  again that seems to fix the problem' may I know do you switch off the bulb then turn it back on? 

Options
2022-08-02 03:17:54 - last edited 2022-08-05 06:26:00

Hello   @daniellew 

May I know  was the problem solved after you disable and Kasa skill or relink Kasa in the Alexa APP? 

Make sure you can access the smart device in Kasa app remotely first when phone is on mobile data. 

Feel free to let us know any observations, thanks!

Options
2022-08-14 04:53:21

@daniellew I've been having the same problem with my LB100 as well as a Kasa smart plug.  After issueing an Alexa command to turn the device on or off, I randomly get a message from Alexa that the device is not responding.  Sometimes, about 3 or 4 seconds later, the light does light or go off.  Using the Kasa app, everything works fine.  This occurs randomly, but has been happening more and more often in the past few weeks.  I have unlinked and relinked the Kasa skill  in Alexa--but that didn't resolve the issue.  Any ideas what's going on?

Options
2022-08-16 01:39:07 - last edited 2022-08-17 06:51:11

Hello @DennyLS 

This error could occur when kasa devices becomes offline remotely (which mostly relates to network environment) or I suspect it might have something to do with the cloud or Amazon side. To isolate the issue, it is important to check if the kasa device is working in the Kasa APP  remotely when the problem happens. 

• When the problem occurs, can you control the device remotely (LTE mobile network or a outside Wi-Fi network) from the Kasa App?  
  • Does other kasa device or smart devices like kasa plug  work fine in Alexa app at that time? 
  • Confirm Alexa APP is up-to-date
  • Confirm kasa APP and device firmware are up-to-date 

Please help take a photo of the error or error and let us know the local time when the problem occurs

Kindly explain how the issue is reproduced, how did you try to control kasa device before the error occurred, like use a voice command X or manuall turn on/off device. 

MAC address of the specific device via private message.

What is the Alexa APP version, model of phone and OS version

Options
2022-08-16 12:01:46
I don't have a photo of the time, it occurs randomly. When problem occurs, can you control the device remotely (LTE or different Wifi network) from the Kasa App? - yes via the kasa app it works Does other kasa device or smart devices like kasa plug work fine in Alexa app at that time? - i only have bulbs right now Confirm Alexa APP is up to date - it is Confirm kasa APP and device firmware are up to date - it is the problem is seemingly random and sometime alexa takes a very long time (like 10+ seconds) to respond at all. I wonder if it is an alexa issue? but the deconnectivity from alexa to kasa is an issue
Options
2022-08-16 12:03:42
This is the same problem I continue to have and it occurs randomly. I have linked/unlinked/updated everything. Seems to be a bug between Kasa and Alexa. Sometimes the lights or alexa take a very long time to respond or don't respond at all. Still no idea what the problem is unfortunately.
Options
2022-08-17 06:52:52

Hello   @daniellew 

Thanks for more details, a photo or a video of the phenomena would be of great help for letting us know how this problem is reproduced,you may share it later, To better assist with your case, I created a support email TKID220820846 for you, please check your email inbox later, thanks. 

Options
2022-08-18 18:51:06

@Solla-topee Hi.  The "(Device name) is not responding problem is continuing on a random basis.  It occured again this morning at 9:22.  I have a video of it, but apparently can't attach it here.  The device (a smart bulb) was on, and I asked Alexa to turn it off.  Alexa responded with "Nightstand is not responding" (Nightstand is the device name for the bulb).  About 10 seconds later, the bulb did turn off.  I then turned off my wi-fi on my phone and attempted to turn on the bulb using the LTE network (Verizon), and the Kasa app and it worked perfectly.  Then I reconnected to my wi-fi, and now everything worked (both through Alexa and the app).  I've noticed this before, that when I originally get a not responding message and I force the action using the Kasa app directly, that after that for a period of time, Alexa works again.  I'm having a similar issue on a smart plug, but less frequently, and  not (usually) on any of my smart switches.  I might mention that in the same room where the Kasa smart bulb is, I also have an Insteon controlled light, and that is working perfectly through Alexa--so I am guessing this has something to do with the Alexa/Kasa interface.  

Let me know if there is a way to attach the video clip!

Options
2022-09-01 07:04:20

Hi   @DennyLS 

Sorry for the delayed reply, if the problem still occurs, we'd like to look into that further and created a support email TKID220900674 for your case, please reply this email when next time issue happens and attach photo or video there, thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1583

Replies: 9

Related Articles