"3-way" control without conventional 3-way wiring.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-07 19:23:28

This is regarding new construction.  We have lights on single-pole switch and we have a second location with 120 volt power but NOT connected to the lighting circuit by 3-way wiring.  We want a secondary switch location that can communicate with the "smart" single pole switch and control the lights.  When looking at the Kasa 3-way options, the wiring diagrams show traveler wires.  The products appear to be intended for "remodel" in a home previously wired for 3-way switches.  

Can the Kasa products accomplish the setup shown in the diagram below?  

e1a8c3daacdd4d4fbff05441d5608c43

Options
1 Reply
Re:"3-way" control without conventional 3-way wiring.
2022-08-14 03:19:16 - last edited 2022-08-14 03:22:00

@Darron Yes, I think you can make it work using the "Smart Actions" feature of the Kasa app.  I'm not sure how the dimming capability would work, but you can do on and off.  Use two Kasa regular smart switches (not the 3-ways).  On your diagram, the switch not connected to the light would just have the load wire capped with a wire nut and not used.  Smart Actions allows you to "link" the two switches together.  You'd need to create two Smart Actions--one with switch one being the "trigger" and switch 2 being the "Corresponding Device", and another Smart Action with switch 2 being the "trigger" and switch one being the "Corresponding Device".  You do need the neutral wire in both switch boxes, but if it's a newer home, it should be there.  I have done this with two light fixtures on two separate single pole smart switches and either switch will turn on or off both lights (exactly the same as if they were on 3-way switches).  I have not tried it with no load on one of the switches, but it should work.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 415

Replies: 1

Related Articles