Router not showing it’s connected to wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-19 21:37:10
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Original

I bought this router last year for college but my roommate had already gotten one so I was not used. This year I am trying to use it and all of the light accept for the internet and the lock one. I don't know what to do.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Router not showing it’s connected to wifi
2022-08-19 23:16:58
I would start by reseting the router to factory and set it up like a new router. Go to the tp link web page for your router and click on support to see the instructions.
Options
2022-08-19 23:17:06

Hi  @Justin_ ,

Oh boy, college apartment wifi router setups - some of the most confusing and hard to troubleshoot setups. I was one of the few people who on my dorm floor was capable of getting a router running on our in apartment ethernet connection. 

Can you give me some more information about where you are at in the setup process? If you can access the router via hardwire, there are a few settings that you should try to change to connect.

Most likely, you are trying to place a wifi router on top of their network. This is similar to placing a router after another router in a home network. It will result in issues such as DHCP failure and Double NAT -- The easiest solution is to place your wifi router into AP mode. otherwise, you will have to try and disable the features that are conflicting with the features/addressing on your college's network.

Also, how are you trying to setup the router? and what does your wiring situation look like coming into your room. You may have an additional ethernet port for situations like this

Options
2022-08-19 23:45:02
There are two ethernet plugins and one says CAT5e and the other says CAT5e+ I have it plugged into the CAT5e+. I currently only have the Ethernet plugged into lan 1 and the power supply plugged in, I’m able to access the wifi by scanning the QR code but I can’t hook up my PlayStation or anything that isn’t capable of scanning the QR code. Also I’m not very tech savvy so if you could dumb down your response as much as possible it would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your help so far!
Options
2022-08-22 18:30:39

Alright  @Justin_ ,

Sorry for the length, but I tried to cover a few of the problems/solutions for your situation.

User Manual for Your Router: AX1500 User Manual

Thanks for giving me the heads-up that you're not as technical, I'll try to break everything down so that it can make sense, and you can potentially troubleshoot on your own. If you get stuck at ANY point, let me know, and I can send you some support documents to help you through that step. 

CAT5E - Wiring Standard for Network Speeds

So to start off CAT5E and CAT5E+,

CAT5E Is a Standard used for ethernet cables so that they can communicate at specific speeds. I haven't heard of CAT5E+, but upon research, it sounds like a 'diet' version of the CAT6 Standard for ethernet cables. Either one of these should work for your setup, and simply indicates what type of ethernet cable should be used.

Either of these plugs should work fine. You MIGHT be able to plug your PS4 into the other port to have a more direct connection to the main network.

However, as you do not currently have a connection to the internet using the CAT5E+(non-standard port) I would recommend moving your connection to the regular CAT5E Port, as this will have the best compatibility and support between devices.

Your description of the lights it is indicating that there is a wireless network, but the network cannot access the internet.

If switching the ethernet ports to the CAT5E port does not make the internet LED(🌐) turn on after restarting the router, I have a feeling that you are going to have to set up your router as an Access Point. This is the easiest way to configure your router for a network like this but will reduce your control over the network.  

Access Point Mode

Related FAQ: What’s the difference between the Access Point Mode and Router Mode on the TP-Link wireless router?

This essentially makes the router a repeater, with enhanced features and wired connectivity. To change the operation modes of the router, you have to log in to the router settings and find the option for operation modes. On the WebUI, the feature can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. The same setting can be found in the tether app, but I do not know specifically.

tl;dr I recommend using the router in Access Point Mode, as using the router in its normal operating mode will require the fine-tuning of advanced settings, such as the DHCP server, that may be conflicting with the network setup by your apartments. I can help research how I configured this in the past, but I still recommend setting it up in Access Point Mode until we have a plan.

WPS🔒(WI-Fi Protected Setup)

WPS is a way to connect your devices to your network without scanning a code or inputting a wifi password. Only some devices are compatible with the feature, but I know it is possible with a PlayStation. On your Playstation, when trying to connect to a network, there should be an option to connect using WPS. At this point, you must push the WPS button on the back of your router, and the Playstation should automatically connect to the network.

tl;dr Connect Using WPS on PS4 + Press WPS Button on Router = Internet Connection

I also pulled this from the support documents for your router concerning the lock🔒 symbol: AX1500 User Manual

Flashing - WPS connection is in progress. This may take up to 2 minutes.

On/Off - This light remains on for 5 minutes when a WPS connection is established, then turns off.

Either way, you choose to connect your devices, I HIGHLY recommend(because I can't require lol) that you go in and change the wifi password for your network, as it is most likely using the default settings and can be easily guessed by your neighbors. This can be accomplished on the tether app or through the web interface. If you cannot figure out how to use the WPA function on the router, it is recommended that you connect your devices using the network passwords.

Lastly,

Wired PS4 Connection for Gaming Latency

From one gamer to another, you will want to try and get your PS4 onto a wired connection or into the wired network as soon as possible. When using a wireless connection, you will be put at a disadvantage to others because of the latency associated with wireless connections. Which is only magnified by the wireless interference caused by the wireless devices of all your neighbors. 

I highly recommend connecting your PS4 to your network using an ethernet cable. Fortunately for you, you may have two separate ethernet ports available for use in your room. To get the lowest possible latency, if you are competitively gaming, I would recommend plugging your PS4 into this ethernet outlet, as it will have a designated line for its network traffic and will not have to pass through an additional step

Options