Hs220 synced and shutting off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-29 04:35:56

I have two hs220 wired up and connected to WiFi on the app and when my roommate hits his switch or dimmer it's connected to mine I didn't think it would do that is that normal? Or any fixes to disconnect them

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hs220 synced and shutting off
2022-09-29 18:25:26

@S.miller,

Sounds like you have a 3-Way Wirign Connection on your hands. If multiple light switches control one set of lights, you have to buy a kit of switches meant for the setup. We just released a new version of the KS230Kit 3-Way Dimmer, which should be what you are looking for.

Options
2022-09-29 19:11:21

@Riley_S  so I have one in my room and one I'm roommates room but his controls mine and unless his is on mine won't turn on and his switch and dimmer controls mine which doesn't seem right his should only be controlling his light not mine if that makes more sense 

Options
2022-09-29 21:05:30

@S.miller,

Was this the case before you switched out for the HS220? If the lights weren't paired before, you must have an unconventional wiring setup in your walls. If this is the case, unfortunately, you will have to work out how everything is wired between the switches and lights, to see if the HS220 is compatible with your wiring. While less than ideal, an electrician can figure it out EXTREMELY quickly, try thinking of anyone you know that may know about house wiring.

It sounds like you're lights are using the same electrical signal to provide power to the lights. One thing that I have learned from working here so far, is that there are some really dumb wiring situations out there in the wild.

In a traditional 3-Way configuration, there is a main switch and a satellite switch, when the main switch's power is flipped off, the power going to the satellite switch will also be cut. That is why 3-Way Kits exist, as 3-Way Switches will continue to pass power to the satellite switch when the switch is turned off. You cannot even use a traditional dumb switch as the satellite as the units have to communicate with each other directly. From what you're describing it sounds like you have a variation of this setup with your roommate having the main and you the satellite.

There are 4-Way and 5-Way Wiring Connections that I have seen users post about, but I have no clue what the actual functionality of these setups is, as I have never had to use one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 3

Related Articles