New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-02 01:25:00 - last edited 2023-01-19 17:37:34

I don't know about non-iOS users, but the new Kasa app has been a disaster for iPhone users.  I presume that, by now, the company is aware of the very large quantity of complaints within the App Store regarding this issue.  For many of us, the app simply freezes at the green initial screen and will not open.  Attached is a screenshot of what I see (and the only thing I can see) when trying to use the app on any of several iPhones.  What is being doing to address this?  Is a patch coming soon?  Why are so many customers reporting that Kasa support is unresponsive?  Please keep in mind that many of your customers have an entire smart-home ecosystem built around this app, which is what you want.  Personally, I have over 100 devices, none of which I can access since the update.  If you need more details, read the mass of reviews in the App Store from users that have downgraded their app review from 5 stars to 1-3 stars since the update and the extraordinarily similar problems that they are reporting.  We all are awaiting a response and some positive action by TP-Link/Kasa.  Thank you.

1d42035750914dff8f4e192c281fcb5a

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users-Solution
2022-10-06 18:42:41 - last edited 2022-10-14 02:42:23

@KL9381 Someone found a fix for this one Reddit.

1. On your iPhone, go to the Settings App.
  2. Scroll Down to and Select the 'Kasa' App.
  3. Toggle OFF the 'Local Network' Setting.
  4. Get Money.
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-08 02:02:58 - last edited 2022-10-19 05:57:01

Update 10/19.

A new version of IOS Kasa APP 3.1.2 has been released with some patches, please check the latest app's performance has improved. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback with new Kasa APP 3.0. If you found the new Kasa App freezes on your IOS device"

• Please confirm the Kasa APP is the latest version in the APP store.  

(till Otc 19, the latest version is IOS Kasa APP 3.1.2  )

Manually search ‘ Kasa Smart’ APP in the APP store to download the latest kasa APP. 

If you still experience similar concern,  you could report the issue by emailing support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject of [TP-Link Forum 268456]  Case descriptionBe sure to provide the following information and your case may be get escalated for debug purpose. 

1.  The Kasa APP version  (Confirm your app is up-to-date )

2. Model of your mobile device and its OS version

3. Describe the phenomena as detailed as possible 

Thank you!

Note: this thread is marked as 'solution' temporality for users to see the information in full and provide further feedback. 

Recommended Solution
Options
39 Reply
Re:New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users
2022-10-04 01:02:57

@KL9381,

We apologize for all the inconveniences that the update is causing, as there were a lot of backend changes meant to give users better control over their devices in the long run.

We have heard from our engineers that they already have updates slated to be released to patch some of these bugs and they should be coming soon.

In regards to your particular situation, I have a feeling that you have leftover document and app data from the previous Kasa Version. I would recommend navigating into your iPhones Storage Settings, Clearing the Documents and Data for Kasa, Then Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Application from the Apple App Store. This should allow you to get past the initial splash screen and access all of your devices.

As for being unresponsive, we honestly have not received that many direct reports of the issues, and are only observing the large increase in issues through the app reviews and other means. I am trying to keep our community up to date with the latest news regarding the situation, so keep an eye on any threads that appear with similar issues.

Options
2022-10-06 12:17:14

@Riley_S 

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, something remains faulty with the app.  Very briefly, I was able

to access my devices and navigate the new version.  Then I installed the most recent version, and now I am back to the same problems as before.  I have deleted and reinstalled the app at least a half-dozen times, to no avail.  My iOS is current.  The app is current.  My login works.  My settings are correct.  But what happens each time the app is reinstalled is that it gets as far as the first screen of the walkthrough, hangs on that view, and then after closing the app it goes to the green screen and remains there.  A few times it has gotten stuck prior to reaching the walkthrough; but in most instances, it reaches that first screen -- which appears to have additional pages to swipe through -- and then locks.  The only solution is to delete the app, reinstall it, and log in again... which just leads to the same problem.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.  Thank you.

36aa2b26e0854db787ff1988dfa5be41

Options
2022-10-06 15:07:23 - last edited 2022-10-06 15:08:09

This issue with the iOS App is not limited to a few individuals, unfortunately. After searching around a bit, I found that many, many users are having the same types of issues across most iOS devices, including myself.

I have 48 devices spread across plugs, switches, cameras, and bulbs, and the controls via the App for these devices are almost completely useless. While I am able to actually load the app (unlike OP), I have sit and wait for a touch command to complete, whether that command is navigating the app's tabs or pages, turn on/off a device, look at a camera, or customize light bulb settings (which I have only been able to do once).

Luckily I have other means to control my Kasa Devices through a piece of third-party home automation software. Regardless, this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed immediately. I find myself checking the Apple App Store multiple times a day just to see if an update was pushed...not what I expect to do with a Home Automation pillar like Kasa. 

Options
2022-10-06 18:42:41 - last edited 2022-10-14 02:42:23

@KL9381 Someone found a fix for this one Reddit.

1. On your iPhone, go to the Settings App.
  2. Scroll Down to and Select the 'Kasa' App.
  3. Toggle OFF the 'Local Network' Setting.
  4. Get Money.
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-07 01:48:03

@dwr my app also stopped working as soon as I updated to the new version. I did not have any issues with IOS 16 and previous version. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Unlike the upgrade version, I was asked to accept the agreement and to allow network access. When clicked on the network link provided, it opened a window that did not have any options to allow network access to Kasa.

I am unable to find the Network toggle option under Settings - Kasa.
I only see 4 options:

siri & search 

notifications 

cellular data 

And language. 

Options
2022-10-07 03:25:56

@fcadena72 I am not sure why that specific toggle isn't show you for you. In the attached image, you will see at the top where a user can toggle the "Local Network" setting.

I do not mean to be rude when I ask this, but have you tried turning your Wi-Fi and/or iPhone off and then on again? Then check the settings...

I hate to say it, but half the time issues like yours happen, it's because the app itself hasn't fully "nested" itself within your phone. Give it a shot, and post back.

Options
2022-10-08 02:02:58 - last edited 2022-10-19 05:57:01

Update 10/19.

A new version of IOS Kasa APP 3.1.2 has been released with some patches, please check the latest app's performance has improved. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback with new Kasa APP 3.0. If you found the new Kasa App freezes on your IOS device"

• Please confirm the Kasa APP is the latest version in the APP store.  

(till Otc 19, the latest version is IOS Kasa APP 3.1.2  )

Manually search ‘ Kasa Smart’ APP in the APP store to download the latest kasa APP. 

If you still experience similar concern,  you could report the issue by emailing support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject of [TP-Link Forum 268456]  Case descriptionBe sure to provide the following information and your case may be get escalated for debug purpose. 

1.  The Kasa APP version  (Confirm your app is up-to-date )

2. Model of your mobile device and its OS version

3. Describe the phenomena as detailed as possible 

Thank you!

Note: this thread is marked as 'solution' temporality for users to see the information in full and provide further feedback. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-08 02:21:49 - last edited 2022-10-08 06:20:42

@KL9381 

Thank you very much for providing case details with the new Kasa APP, 

To better assist with your case, we create a support email and escalate your case via support email TKID220932558, please check your email inbox. 

If any user experience similar issue on your new Kasa APP, please share some case details below for our engineers to investigate on this issue, thank you. 

1.  the current Kasa APP version  (Confirm the app is up-to-date )

2.  the model of your mobile device, and its Andriod or IOS version 

3. If possible, please help attach a video shared link of the phenomena / or photos 

Options
2022-10-08 12:28:35

@dwr great suggestion and got me half way there. I turned off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and Kasa was able to work successfully using Cellular only.

As you can see from my screenshot even after I turn off/on my wifi and Bluetooth, Kasa did not give me the option to toggle them.

In order for me to use this wonderful and updated App, my only option is to completely turn off my wii-fi for ALL my apps.

Support: Yes, I downloaded the latest 3.0.2 version found at the App Store.

Is there a way to download  my old and less shiny app?

b60b54d092254361a587b5c9ea976cf4

Options
2022-10-08 18:46:42

@Solla-topee 

Any version after v3 in the Apple App Store is causing major stability issues for a number of customers. This has been documented on multiple social platforms like Reddit, Twitter, etc., including the reviews in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

I normally wouldn't be adding my voice to something like this, but I have spent a good deal of money on Kasa Products over the years with the majority of these products controlling 90% of my lighting, switch controls, and general device controls within my residence (currently over 45 devices in use).

So to have the main way of controlling these devices become unstable and/or unusable for over 2 weeks is absolutely unacceptable. 

Can you at least confirm that Kasa is looking into this issue with the potential of a solution coming soon?

Kasa App Version: 3.0.2 - Build 1262

Device: iPhone XR - iOS 16.0.2

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6174

Replies: 39