Kasa v3.0.2 Motion Detection Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-08 17:23:31
Model: KC105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.9

Hi. I'm aware of the many issues around the new 3.0.2 Kasa app update, I am hoping that this major issue for me is known and slated for a fix soon.

Using a 'smart action' with my camera and motion detection, I have always had my camera in our kitchen with it set to turn on a light that is plugged into a smart plug. Normally when I enter the kitchen, the motion detection triggers the smart plug to turn on, which then turns on the light and it then stays on for 20 minutes before turning off. I would then have to wait a short time for the motion detection to trigger again if the light was off while I was in the room.

Now, with the new 3.0.2 update, when the 'On duration' has passed, in my case the 20 minutes, the light turns off but immediately turns back on again, which in effect means my light is always on.

I believe what is happening is after the 'on duration' time has passed and the light turns off, the act of the light turning off is itself retriggering the motion detection to in effect cause a continuous loop Of the light turning on.

I hope this issue can be fixed soon.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Kasa v3.0.2 Motion Detection Problem
2022-10-08 21:52:39

Incidently I have come up with a workaround if anyone else is having this trouble. Somewhat complex but acceptable as this feature was a major part of my smart home routines. I use the Smartthings app and an alternative smart plug. I used the plug my kettle is connected to. It doesn't matter if the plug is on, it just means my kettle will just have power if I need it. You could use any smart plug that doesn't have energy use consequences if turned on.

I set a Kasa Smart Action to turn on the smart plug that my kettle is plugged into. I set the 'On Duration' for just one minute.

I set a Smartthings routine to turn on the kitchen light when my 'Kitchen Kettle' device is turned on.

I set a Smartthings routine to automatically turn off the kitchen light after 20 minutes of being on.

I set a Smartthings routine to turn off the kitchen light again if it gets 'turned off', with a delay of 30 seconds. (If device is turned off, then 'turn off' after 30 seconds).

So this is what happens:

I walk into the kitchen, motion is detected and the kettle comes on.

Smartthings automatically turns on my kitchen light, because the kettle has been turned on.

20 minutes expire.

The kitchen light goes off.

Smartthings is then triggered to turn off the light again in 30 seconds.

The Kasa smart action is triggered again by the light turning off, It turns the kettle back on and Smartthings turns on the kitchen light again.

30 seconds later, Smartthings turns off my kitchen light again, thus ending the infinite on/off light scenario.

If I am actually in the kitchen when the light goes off and it was me that triggered the smart action again, I only have to wait a minute for it to reset and turn on the kettle again and for Smartthings to turn the light back on. Or i can just turn on the kettle plug manually.

if I was to just use the Kasa app smart action to turn on the light for a duration of 20 minutes, and use Smartthings to turn it off again after being retriggered, I would then have a 20 minute wait until the smart action 'On Duration' ends, hence using the kettle method with just one minute 'On Duration'.

It's a little annoying to have the kettle smart plug keep clicking on every minute if I am in the room but this is an acceptable workaround until/if the Kasa smart actions for motion detection are sorted out. It was totally fine before the recent big update.

Options
2022-10-09 00:51:04

Hello @Kanoobi 

Thank you for the case report and sharing the workaround yes. To look into this further, can you share some information below

1) the photos of Smart Action settings in the new kasa APP 

2) MAC address of your plug and the camera (please share via PM)

3) May I know the model of your phone and its Android or IOS version

Thanks in advance for helping confirm details to solve it. 

Options
2022-10-09 12:48:55

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. I have PM'd you the 2 mac addresses.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A52 5G.

Android version 12.

One UI version 4.1.

I enclose screenshots of the Kasa smart action.

There is a delay option but that just delays the action of the light being turned on after motion being triggered. The 2nd screen shot is after clicking on the 'kitchen light turn on' setting to confirm the 'On Duration' is 20 minutes.

Thanks, will be happy to offer any other information.

7940a5cf715142d6877aa881785676c4dcc0aa857a43469c9d6380e47254fff7

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 455

Replies: 3