Light switch install problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-12 18:35:41 - last edited 2022-10-12 20:56:17

Hello I purchased a new HS200 switch to replace this old timer switch shown in photo. Im not sure what to do since the colors are diferent from the kasa switch. The kasa has 2 blacks. Should I twist both blacks together and connect them to the hot black wire going into wall? The switch on the far right I am not sure what it is or does. Its never worked, and as far as I can tell, doesnt turn on other lights . The middle switch is for a table lamp, and the far left one that I am replacing is for two front porch lights. Thank you.8d74246f7ded4271bd57a983946fd2f3

Options
12 Reply
Re:Light switch install problem
2022-10-12 21:38:52

@Frostbyte 

So that's a great picture because it helps us identify the wires.

Red - Load

Black - Line/Live

Green - Ground

White - Neutral 

So all you need to do is connect the Black load to where the Red is.  The Black Line/Live to where the Black live is, then Green to green and White to White. From there you should be good. 

Options
2022-10-12 22:08:01

@Carl

Hi Carl, thank you for replying back and helping me. I'll enclose a photo of the back of my new kasa switch, with a brief question just to be safe.  Does it matter which of the two black wires coming out of the Kasa switch? For example, you mentioned that one goes to red and one goes to black, does it matter exactly which black from kasa switch goes to Red load, and which goes to the line/live? 10b575f32add432cbc046e4b8fd99c75 Thanks again :)

Options
2022-10-12 22:28:16

@Frostbyte 

Sorry, its been a while since I saw the back of one.  No, it doesn't matter which is which as they both can technically carry voltage.  You can connect either one to the Load or Line wires in the wall, just as long as they are separate wires is all that matters. 

Options
2022-10-12 22:49:54

@Carl 

Hey carl, ohh not a problem. I just wanted to make double sure. :) 

Ok sounds good, going to try and tackle it tomorrow morning sometime. I'll keep ya posted Thanks again, much appreciated!

Options
2022-10-13 18:55:22

@Carl 

Hi carl..

I installed the switch and it went well thanks to you! Only problem I had was figuring out how to remove the previous timer switch without cutting the wires on the switch. They wouldnt pull out of the switch, so i looked further into the switch box. Turned out the wires on the timer switch were part of the switch (like the Kasa switch's wires). The were just twisted into wire nuts. That didnt even dawn on me,  I should have known better, and was worried all night how I was going to do that without cutting wires on my timer switch and ruining it.

But switch is up and running. Had a couple issues with my router turning back on after power was off, but software located the switch and works great. Thanks again carl for your help!

Options
2022-10-13 20:18:30

@Frostbyte 

My Pleasure.  Please let us know if you have any concerns.  

Options
2022-10-14 22:14:28

@Carl 

Update,

Last night, the light went on and off with the scheduel on the kasa app, and worked fine. But today i tried turning the lights on and off manualy, and there was a delay. Then, it showed it was offline, with a prompt, Device Unrechable. So i tried rebooting phone, rebooting phone, rebooting router, and even reset the switch. I still get the long delay when i manualy turn on the lights. Sometimes it goes fast, but then that prompt comes up and goes offline. All my other kasa switches and plugs work perfectly fine.  I did a few screenshots on my phones kasa app. The switch on my list is called " Front Light"495a698c794641e48b5a7e64347215f2af86d21cb9f14da08d52eb74a0dc0e84

Options
2022-10-14 22:49:40

@Frostbyte 

That java failure error concerns me.  I will need to consult our development team as that at least to mean points to a code concern.  Let me reach out to them and as soon as I know something I will let you know.

Options
2022-10-14 23:17:01 - last edited 2022-10-17 01:24:01

@Carl 

Ok thank you Carl. I am still trying to troubleshoot, no luck. Tried everything imaginable reboots, uninstalled kasa app, reinstalled it, rebooted the switch to factory,, forced stopped, ect. The last reboot it was unable to locate my wifi network, yet the kasa app and all my other plugs and other  2 switches works fine. This one keeps doing a loop , and the loading circle is still slow. It does turn the light on and off, but then it hesitates at times, then goes offline. When i click on it, that unreachable prompt comes up . I wonder if I wired it wrong somehow? Or perhaps that switch on the right is effecting it? That far right switch does nothing that I know of. I have three way swiches (i think they are called) for my staircase, but this one doesnt go to those. I cant see what its use is for. :(

:Update :

Yesterday I removed the switch and replaced it with my old timer switch. But I decided to install it on a box that only has one switch instead of three and operates a chandelier light. I installed it and it works fine, no java error, no offline errors, etc. So the switch isnt faulty. I dont understand why it was doing that hooked up with the other two switches. I am guessing its that far right switch that does nothing. Im not sure if it can be singled out, and disconnected from the other two. Perhaps its creating that fault error or a conflict of some sort. But as of now, I wont install it there again unless I can bypass that worthless switch on the right. But at least i know the switch works fine. Super fast turning it on and off, no errors.

Options
2022-10-17 15:48:21

@Frostbyte 

I'm not quite familiar with timer switches, but you mentioned that there is more than one switch controlling this specific light or set of lights, is that correct?  If so, then this would likely be a 3-way run and that could be the cause of the concern.  I am still waiting for my engineering team to respond but multiple switches usually indicate a 3-way and in a 3-way one of the traveler wires are typically red so that could also refer back to the initial question too.  I will still wait for them to respond but that is likely the concern.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 719

Replies: 12

Related Articles