3 way Dimmer won't dim ; Is it a wiring problem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-17 19:10:40
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 01.0.14

I installed two different KS230 Kit (3 way dimmer) in my house. Both of them are wired the same. They are one the same breaker. They have the same lightbulbs (LED 5.5W).

Kit #1 is in my staircase and  works perfectly. There's only one lightbulb in that light fixture.

Kit #2, on the other hand, doesn't dim. I can easily turn On/Off the lightfixture from the two dimmers switches but I can not get it to dim. Even at 5%, the light is fully ON. If I set the dimmer higher then 60%, the main dimmer will start blinking at a regular pace (Green Wi-fi turn orange then green, the Off LED ring on the dimmer will blink AND the whole lightfixture will blink until I can get the whole thing Off). 

I already switched my two Dimmer Kits to see if one of them was faulty. Turns out both of them work great in my staircase and both of them have issue in the kitchen. 

The only different thing I can think of is that the Kitchen light fixture requires three lightbulbs. (Again ; 3 dimmable LED lightbuld at 5.5W each). I tried to switch the lightbulb to some dimmable incandescent ones I had in the house but it did not work any better. (They were not over the 300W limit).

Do you think the wiring in the light fixture itself could be faulty? 

I'm trying to think of another reason why this wouldn't work but I don't know anymore.

Please help! :)

Options
3 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer won't dim ; Is it a wiring problem?
2022-10-18 00:20:27

@FrederiqueDF,

From what it sounds like, either your fixture or your bulbs are non dimmable. Double Check the compatibility fi your can. From our KB on the 230KIT regarding compatible dimmable bulbs:

Q3: What's the dimmer type of the main KS230?

A: The dimmer type of the Main KS230 is identical to the HS220 which belongs to Incandescent/Halogen (forward phase control), based on TRIAC

Note: HS220 supports dimmable Incandescent and LED lights based on forward-phase control (TRIAC based), and does not support bulbs based on PWM (pulse width modulation) and ELV (electronic low voltage) dimming.

Options
2022-10-18 02:29:38

@Riley_S 

My bulbs are dimmable. They work just fine with two of my smart dimmers. Bulbs are "Ecosmart 60W Equivalent ST19 Dimmable Amber Glass Vintage Style LED Light Bulb 2200K" from Home Depot (too bad I can't share the external link!). I know that the Tp-Link is not on the recommended dimmer for this particular bulb, but from what I've read on the preferred dimmers, they do not work wit ELV dimming. (At least, from what I understood)

As for my fixture, I couldn't find any information for the forward-phase/PWM ou ELV. My fixture is the Westinghouse "Iron Hill Three-Light Indoor Pulley Pendant", also from Home Depot. The bulb we bought seems to be the perfect fit. 

I guess my next step is to switch out the fixture to see if this one is the problem!
Thank you for your time :) 

e82a17e9ed9749269aed16e62bf02728

Options
2022-10-19 00:10:21

@FrederiqueDF,

There is either something that is not being accounted for in the wiring of the light, or the fixture is causing issues. I would believe that the bulbs would have worked great when you switched to regular if that was the issue.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you try to use the dimming calibration feature of the switch from the Kasa app? Is it just as erratic? Are the lights capable of going over that 60% threshold?

I did have another thread that could be somewhat related. Someone found that a hidden RF remote receiver was hidden away in their ceiling fan, even though the feature was never advertised. This RF receiver was preventing the fixture from dimming the bulb and created a pretty similar behavior to yours. It kind of sounds like a similar situation - where there is something on the line that is basically intercepting the electrical signal meant to tell the bulb to dim.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 595

Replies: 3

Related Articles