Power or lights not both

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Power or lights not both

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Power or lights not both
Power or lights not both
2022-11-07 00:56:10 - last edited 2022-11-07 01:02:52
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Trying to wire this up 

When I wire it incorrectly I can get the device to power on but has zero functionality 

If I wire it correctly it won't power on at all

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have the money to spend on an electrician 

All lines have been tested multiple times 

Tested after removing all bulbs to see if this was wired to the fixture first 

Several other testing I've done

Options
4 Reply
Re:Power or lights not both
2022-11-07 02:45:43
Suggest you test again. With respect the most common thing I've seen for this kind of thing is folks thinking they know what a wire is or does and being wrong. Please tell us how you know the following are in fact what you think they are. 1) The "hot" line is in fact hot at all times. 2) What you believe is a neutral has 0 resistance between itself and ground.
Options
2022-11-07 03:25:56

@dafish 

Ohm meter is how I checked

Removing all wires from each other and testing 1 by 1 and only a single one has voltage... I could be wrong but I'm sure that's the hot wire

This answered both of your questions, if you have additional questions please feel free to ask. 

Options
2022-11-07 03:27:38

@DDON 

Can also provide pictures if you think it'll help 

Options
2022-11-07 05:37:32 - last edited 2022-11-07 05:40:56

Pictures can't hurt, but lets see what happens for a moment:

1. Let's assume for a moment you used an AC voltmeter to test voltage to ground, and that on one wire you found 120V.
    1. Have you placed a label on that wire yet, and if so what does it say?
  2. Please confirm this is a 2-way (that is only 1 switch) switch.
  3. You need neutral. How have you tested for that, and how has it been labeled?
  4. You need to know the load wire (the light). It would have been the other wire (the one without power) that was on the 2 pole switch.   Are you certain you know what that is, and how has it been labeled?
  5. Please confirm the old switch had only 2 wires going to it.

I'll try to check back, let us know.

Options