M4 unit not powering on at all

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-09 10:34:24
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Hi, 

I've been having problems with my deco wifi around the flat for the past week, it's only a two bed flat but over two floors so use the M4s to get round the strange layout. 

It normally works well and occasionally have to reset them, thought that was the case this time but it hasn't fixed it. 

The one in the hall is high up, and after taking it down I realised it isn't on at all. 

I've tried it with the power cable from another working unit and it doesn't turn on with that either. 

It's just been sitting in the hall for a couple of years - surely not just randomly broken? 

I've tried pressing the reset button incase that would help and have left it off for a while before trying again. 

Any suggestions? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:M4 unit not powering on at all
2022-11-09 19:09:04

@henrycomb,

Unfortunately, my first recommendation would have been to try the power cable from the other unit to ensure that it is not the adapter that has died. It is possible for electronics to die after a period of time, especially if there was something that happened in your flat, such as a power surge or outage. 

When you plug in the device, is there any indicator that the unit is receiving power when plugged in, such as an LED light turning on, or a fan turning on inside the unit?

Options
2022-11-10 10:18:34

@Riley_S It doesn't do anything. 

No light or powering on. There is a slight buzzing inside when plugged in that I can hear if I hold my ear against the top of the M4 but not something I'd noticed before, maybe this is the fan? I've removed it from the network now as it kept saying it couldn't be found and was causing problems. Since hearing the sound I've tried adding the deco back to the network but it won't recognise there being another unit plugged in. 

Do these units often randomly fail? Would expect it after five years maybe, but after two years seems a bit useless. 

There is no reason for a power surge. 

It is plugged into a four way, the only other thing that is plugged into the same four way is a light that I use when I open the cupboard. 

The cable goes through a drilled hole in the wall and into the hall where the M4 has been sitting high up out of reach. 

Nothing else has happened with the electronics in the house in the last couple of weeks.  

Options
2022-11-22 16:10:53

@henrycomb Riley_S

No reply to this? bump. 

Options
2022-11-28 07:07:46

@henrycomb Hi, I see you are located in the UK and if you still had the receipt, it is suggested to send an email with the receipt and a picture of the product label to local technical support to check for warranty:https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 262

Replies: 4

Related Articles